Whole or cracked

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes, you will SEE WSC in their manure, but it is in the manure with cracked corn - you just don't SEE it. If you had the microscope to analyze it - it's there.
You can believe what you think has happened for you, but research tells a different story.
If, cracked corn, rolled corn, etc worked better, believe me, I'd be using it on my show cattle. Showing cattle is how I am able to make a living raising cattle. Research has always said you would get about 8% better efficiency from processing the corn, but you will pay more than 8% difference.
You might look at the latest research I posted near the top of this page.
There is more differences in the CATTLE you feed than the FEED you feed.
Good stuff.

I've been using cracked corn because that's what the co-op has in 50lb sacks.
They don't keep whole corn.

Atwoods and tractor supply have 40lb sacks of whole corn for more money!

I'll get a poop pic tonight. U CAN see corn. Even with the cracked corn being fed. But she's fat as a tick! 6 more days

Atwoods is selling to deer hunters. You can't afford to compete with the hunters. WSC should always be less.
Cracked corn is good - IF - it is cracked and not pulverized. You can get health issues (acidosis) if it is powdery. Do you have any farmers around that would sell you a pick up load of WSC? (or grain buggy) That's what we used to do when we first moved out here. Built a box for corn and bucket it from pickup to box for our daughters 4H steers.

Ok, it's just a sweet feed with molasses. If you can get WSC cheaper or same price, I think you would be better off. Corn is 9% protein. This has crimped corn and barley in it. That is processed. Takes $$ to process. So lots of cheap useless filler, I would guess.
@TexasBred could give you more scientific answer. It has molasses and salt which makes it super palatable.

I agree! Bang for buck is good.

First one I've done. And I've fed her wayyyy longer than needed for sure. Been on feed a year plus. Last 6 months has been this combo of feed working up to heavy heavy doses of it! Hoping for that good ol timey quality beef!

Neighbor runs high moisture corn through a roller mill and blends it with corn silage as it goes in the pit.
Makes good feed but the economy of scale may be beyond the reach of most.

I agree! Bang for buck is good.

First one I've done. And I've fed her wayyyy longer than needed for sure. Been on feed a year plus. Last 6 months has been this combo of feed working up to heavy heavy doses of it! Hoping for that good ol timey quality beef!
90 to 120 days of corn will put white in the meat and that is what most like.

So more days would mean more white?
I think that would depend on the amount of marbling in the meat which can vary from carcass to carcass..
If you can get it at the right price (don't ask me) some 14% protein distiller pellets should give you what
you are looking for to finish. Myself, I don't like to keep feed in front of them all the time. What they can eat
in 15 minutes, twice a day and some hay is enough. jmpv Do what works for you within the parameters of
the cards in hand. good luck!

Murry, are you butchering the Blonde heifer at the feed bunk in 6 days? Do you have a side view? You want to see the fat around the tailhead, in the brisket and the flank area. I really can't see any of those areas. How long have you been feeding her?

I think that would depend on the amount of marbling in the meat which can vary from carcass to carcass..
If you can get it at the right price (don't ask me) some 14% protein distiller pellets should give you what
you are looking for to finish. Myself, I don't like to keep feed in front of them all the time. What they can eat
in 15 minutes, twice a day and some hay is enough. jmpv Do what works for you within the parameters of
the cards in hand. good luck!
That's about what she's been getting. And it's a LOT! Especially as big as she is now.
Don't worry guys. There WILL be pictures

She is showing some fat - but I would not consider her FAT. She is WELL MUSCLED. With your dairy cross cattle, I think you forget what a BEEF animal should look like. LOL
She is a nice animal. I guess I don't remember her story. Why not breed her? Is she a freemartin?

Latest posts