Whole corn and ADM Beef trate

Help Support CattleToday:

Jacob

Reaction score
Well I had to cut feed cost and I been looking at whole corn for a while. We just switched all the steers to whole corn and beef trate. I will be excited to see how it works and if the quality grade goes up any. Feeding out 20 angus steers.

Have some that will be processed end of March and the other 2 groups in May.

Attachments

• IMG_9812.jpeg
    IMG_9812.jpeg
    480.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9809.jpeg
    IMG_9809.jpeg
    495.2 KB · Views: 26
I found someone local. I ordered 30 bags which will be enough to get these steers to the end date.

I fed my steers this ration for 100 days in a 60x60 dry lot. They gained 425lbs in 100 days for a ADG of 4.25. The meat was fantastic!
The ration I used was:
- 30-35lbs of whole corn
- 3/4lb of ADM Beef Trate
- 2-3lbs of mixed grass hay
This ration was fed on a per head per day basis feeding one time daily.

Well I had to cut feed cost and I been looking at whole corn for a while. We just switched all the steers to whole corn and beef trate. I will be excited to see how it works and if the quality grade goes up any. Feeding out 20 angus steers.

Have some that will be processed end of March and the other 2 groups in May.
If you have a distiller close by try getting distillers grain from him to cut costs, We get it for about $20.00 per thousand (weights could be off a little either way since it's not weighed every time. I get it in a tote with the top cut off) And what we get is mostly corn. It is still wet however so you're paying for some water but it's the cheapest way to feed I know of. We also have a deal with the bread distributor that helps out as well.

As long as you transition them properly to prevent acidosis it should work good
we havent had any problems with it and we transitioned them onto it slowly a while back. I'm working on getting outdated potato chips and products from Lays as well. Don't know if I can or not yet but I think it may be a good addition as a cheap feed source to supplement pasture. Overall right now they look reasonably good to be on some pasture eating a little distillers grain and feeding a baby

Attachments

• calf june 3 2024.JPG
    calf june 3 2024.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 5
  • black momma from june 04 24.jpeg
    black momma from june 04 24.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Latest posts