What are you eating today?

Help Support CattleToday:

My wife's version of broccoli & cheddar dish made with a creamy gluten free gravy, chicken broth, rice, potatoes, carrots, onion.
And cocktail shrimp for me, she doesn't like any kind of seafood.
We both like a hearty soup and it definitely didn't disappoint. I could eat a lot more of than I need it was so good.
Shrimp were pretty good too, got a little 20 count ring marked down to $5 at the grocery the other day.A5EFA521-391C-4E3D-9DBB-5E7DC19B14A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Wife's take on stuffed peppers, she makes it more like a casserole to be eaten with tortilla chips.
Ground beef, bell and jalapeño peppers, onions, garlic, rice, diced tomatoes, green chilies, black beans and corn, with taco seasoning, topped with cheese.
Served with sour cream and a little hot sauce.946AFF1B-132D-4789-A4E4-7CA1ABA42D11.jpeg566334F9-318F-472F-86DD-F1D4F8B8B8E3.jpeg18FD74E5-BF2E-441A-9C60-9352F896EF4F.jpeg

Looks good, especially the real (not instant) potatoes but you can keep them beets.
No instant potatoes in this house.
We plant at least 50 lbs of seed potatoes, last year 50 pounds of red and 15 of Kennebec, already went through our supply for year, have been buying potatoes for a weeks now.
Those are store bought canned beets, I like them, grew up eating pickled beets pretty often. I've heard of people eating beets with butter, never tried that and don't think I want to either.

I would do that here, but Potatoes don't do well in shallow topsoil with sea floor rock 8" below surface. (There was, 70-100 millions of years ago, an inland sea over this part of Texas and over the eons, the ground pushed that sea floor up. The few postholes I've dug here, and even planting ornamentals like rose bushes, I've encountered various sea shells, especially ones called Devil's Toenails, encased in sedimentary limestone and sandstone. )

DSC00158.JPG

What does grow well here is peppers, especially jalapenos. Squash not so much (too many stem worms) but shallow rooted things like melons do well if ya can keep the deer out of them. I can't.

Last edited:
Had some Owensboro KY bbq yesterday.
Wasn't as good as I remember. The sliced mutton and pork was decent but the chopped mutton was more like mutton purée. It used to have a much better texture and taste. View attachment 33907
Looking back through this thread, spotted this. Moonlight?

Next time you're in Owensboro, go to Old Hickory's. It's where the locals eat BBQ.

Last edited:
I tried mutton once. Had a tallow taste and texture. Never again. Lamb is not much better.

Again, Looks like you have some frioles refritos there too.

Reminds me of a condiment I once recieved as a gift. "Hot dog in a Jar."

The little company makes some great candied jalapenos but the 'hot dog in a jar' stuff tasted and smelled just like it sounds. Appeared to be pureed wieners mixed with mustard, relish and maybe some ketchup. NASTY! That version was kinda light brown in color but I noticed last year, the same company now markets a version that is much more mustard colored, bright yellow.

Last edited:
I tried mutton once. Had a tallow taste and texture. Never again. Lamb is not much better.

Again, Looks like you have some frioles refritos there too.

Reminds me of a condiment I once recieved as a gift. "Hot dog in a Jar."

The little company makes some great candied jalapenos but the 'hot dog in a jar' stuff tasted and smelled just like it sounds. Appeared to be pureed wieners mixed with mustard, relish and maybe some ketchup. NASTY! That version was kinda light brown in color but I noticed last year, the same company now markets a version that is much more mustard colored, bright yellow.
That hotdog in a jar should be re-gifted to the fellow who dropped his teeth in the urinal.

I would do that here, but Potatoes don't do well in shallow topsoil with sea floor rock 8" below surface. (There was, 70-100 millions of years ago, an inland sea over this part of Texas and over the eons, the ground pushed that sea floor up. The few postholes I've dug here, and even planting ornamentals like rose bushes, I've encountered various sea shells, especially ones called Devil's Toenails, encased in sedimentary limestone and sandstone. )

View attachment 41047

What does grow well here is peppers, especially jalapenos. Squash not so much (too many stem worms) but shallow rooted things like melons do well if ya can keep the deer out of them. I can't.
I have a huge oyster fossil I dug up in Texas that sits on my desk.

Attachments

• IMG_20240228_122031769.jpg
    IMG_20240228_122031769.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts