What are you eating today?

Help Support CattleToday:

Got some Eland patties from a friend...yes, that little black thing on the plate :lol: . It's been hunting season here so venison has featured quite a bit on the menu. Didn't have buns for a hamburger so it just replaced the steak :roll: .

ELAND.jpg

ELAND_1.jpg

Eland looks like a really lean meat that tastes good.

The wife bought an air fryer the other day but we've only done tots and fries in it. They were surprisingly good and I can't wait to put a yard bird in it.

Friend has one of those I think. He uses it to fry turkeys and says it only takes a tablespoon or so of oil to fry a turkey. Sounds pretty neat.

Jogeephus":1zpgksdu said:
Friend has one of those I think. He uses it to fry turkeys and says it only takes a tablespoon or so of oil to fry a turkey. Sounds pretty neat.

Ours wouldn't hold a turkey, just a big chicken maybe. I haven't found anything that asks to add oil, although it might be a good thing to coat the basket so it doesn't stick. It takes 18 minutes to cook fries and having to stop in the middle to stir them isn't convenient. But then you don't have to stand over them to make sure you don't burn them up.

I don't know how his works or why you need oil for the turkey. Maybe you just wipe the bird down with oil for color or something? I don't know. Seems like his ran on gas and cooked with infrared heat or something like that. However it works he said it did a good job.

An old 'blue' bull can weigh up to a Ton, they are impressive. A young bull would dress out between 300-400 kg(say abt 770 lbs). Due to their size the carcass can be processed the same way as beef. Their meat is leaner than beef but not as lean as most venison here. They are very docile animals and are tamed easily.
Here's some results on a 800 kg buck(clean shot)
ELAND2.png

Have not tried out an air fryer myself, it should be interesting...you have to add a bit of oil Jo, otherwise they could not call it a 'fryer' :p . You mention fries Slick...we had a braai(barbeque) the other day and one of the friends brought a cast iron pot along. He offered to make fries for the braai, we all thought it was a great idea...something most of us had never tried. Anyway, when the time was right he heated the oil in the pot and fried up the chips till crisp. Don't know why they should turn out so well but they are by far the best chips we had ever tasted.

Hard to beat cast iron, Alison. These were the frozen kind of fries as we'll experiment with fresh at some point. My favorite with cast iron is turning the heat down and slow frying fresh thick potato slices, onion and some bacon. Get one side crisp then turn them over to get crispy. If you do it right you'll have crispy fries with a soft mushy center. Yum! They ain't good for you but I love them.

Wow...that looks delicious Jo :mrgreen: . Bacon is done to a turn. What venison did you use?

Lazy Monday morning breakfast...
Cut a hole in a slice of bread, fry one side of bread slightly in olive oil, flip bread and break egg in hole, fry a little and flip again frying until egg is done to your liking. Smother with Worcester sauce, herbs, salt & pepper...exhausting what :lol:

Son of Butch":1a19ibft said:
Zucchini!
Sauteed zucchini, zucchini bread, zucchini lasagna, zucchini cake... sigh
The freakin' stuff just won't quit growing.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: When i was a boy my dad decided we'd get rich growing the stuff and planted seven acres. We all got quite the lesson in produce that year and we ate zucchini in every form possible for weeks. I got my bait of it for sure and it was several years before I could even look at the stuff again much less eat it. I do like it now though.

Jogeephus":2csrhdlv said:
Decided against going to McDonalds.

20861620_1240058286100155_4394732317961202361_o.jpg

That is a good looking burger. I'd take that over McDonald's any day. Good looking onion rings too.

Where you get those buns from just saw the same one on your venison sandwich those look good?

Latest posts