Water Well

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
just read what I love Herefords said about her water, and it caused question to pop in my brain.
How many of you use a water well for household use , and do you have a iron problem, if so do you treat the water and how?
We have system from Lowes and it has improved the quality of the water, it has taken a lot if the stain from the water , before crude would build up in the pipes and stop up the faucets, I would have to take an air hose to blow it out. When the softner was installed it caused the build up to break loose and I have not had a problem since. It improved the red rust problem about 80 to 90 percent.

Water well drilled in 1977. About 600 ft deep. Pump set at 200 ft. water level is about 120. Just had the pump replaced that was set in 1998. Good water.

cowboy43":3575yh4w said:
just read what I love Herefords said about her water, and it caused question to pop in my brain.
How many of you use a water well for household use , and do you have a iron problem, if so do you treat the water and how?
We have system from Lowes and it has improved the quality of the water, it has taken a lot if the stain from the water , before crude would build up in the pipes and stop up the faucets, I would have to take an air hose to blow it out. When the softner was installed it caused the build up to break loose and I have not had a problem since. It improved the red rust problem about 80 to 90 percent.
Cowboy you may have some rust in the pipes but I doubt it's from iron in the water in Central Texas. Nothing but limestone around here. Usually calcium and magnesium causes the hard water. Areas with soft water usually have an abundance of iron ore around. Just about any water over time will stain things.

We are in the Gulf Coast aquifer with hard water and lots of dissolved solids, lime, calcium, etc. I just changed all my plumbing to PEX and installed two filters in series. It has made a world of difference. We had a strange thing happen a couple of weeks ago where the water developed a H2S smell. No drilling or frac'ing any where around. Called our water well drillers and was told to pour a gallon of bleach down the well and circulate the water for about 2 hours. That took care of the problem.

A lot of wells around here have Sulfur in them. You are better than I if you can drink it. Before my daughters house got city water she had a Sulfur water well. The gas from the water would ruin the electronics in the appliances quick in the house. ( I think a lot of it came from the steam of the dish washer) I got super hot working at her house and thought I could drink anything, but I would probably die from thirst before I could drink it.

My well is an old hand dug. Only 28 feet deep. The water is real good. People who come here comment on how good the water is.

We had a system that used sand charcoal and gravel to filter iron. Worked good until you tried to wash 20 loads of clothes it couldn't keep up

jltrent":1pnz2nbw said:
A lot of wells around here have Sulfur in them. You are better than I if you can drink it. Before my daughters house got city water she had a Sulfur water well. The gas from the water would ruin the electronics in the appliances quick in the house. ( I think a lot of it came from the steam of the dish washer) I got super hot working at her house and thought I could drink anything, but I would probably die from thirst before I could drink it.

Sulfur is an easy fix. Inject hydrogen peroxide into a holding tank. Then pump to the house. You'll never smell sulfur again. The peroxide will cost you $150 a year or so.