Water Troughs

Help Support CattleToday:

Round blues ones or gray/black Rubbermaid type? Looking for something that will last. Thought about concrete but don't think I can get one off the trailer with my little tractor...

We use the gray Rubbermaid ones. Still have a few galvanized ones in use too, but the newer ones seem to be made pretty thin and that metal don't hold up like it used too.

I use oval blue water troughs, but still have a couple galvanized tanks. Have a couple cement tanks not used any more. They are 50+ years old. The cement split and they no longer hold water, but the cows scratch on them. Also use empty lick tubs for water tanks.

The bull would always tip over the blue tank. It would end up over the fence or stuck in the fence. Didn't seem to bother the metal tank as much. Maybe my bull doesn't like the color blue? Do the plastic tanks contain bisphenol A (BPA)?

I like the black rubber ones from TSC over the grey Rubbermaid ones. The grey ones will crack more easily, but the black ones from TSC don't and they are just a little shorter.... 100 or 110 gallons.... can't remember the brand. We have concrete in most of the pastures where they are fed off wells or springs....

I like the black rubber ones from TSC over the grey Rubbermaid ones. The grey ones will crack more easily, but the black ones from TSC don't and they are just a little shorter.... 100 or 110 gallons.... can't remember the brand. We have concrete in most of the pastures where they are fed off wells or springs....
Thanks I will check those out.

I have 2 concrete ones in my yards which I and the cows and horses really like. In the paddocks most are plastic and I really can't complain how they have held up over the years except the long trough type which tend to bow out in the middle. I think it is a bit much to ask the plastic no matter how it is molded to stay rigid along the length. Round is much more structurely friendly for the plastic. I never bought the long ones myself they were here when I bought the place.

Ken

Equipment tires w cement bottoms. Some have plastic now. They make em literally next door to me. Can't wreck them, cattle don't push them around.

What I really like about the plastic ones I have been buying is they have a big plastic blocky piece of plastic running around the top rim. You can cut or drill and attach things to hold pipe or floats or what ever.

I have always been real hesitant about cutting or drilling in to a galvanized trough.

Friends give me there cracked ones I make then new again with flex seal

Latest posts