Tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch said:
Caustic Burno said:
callmefence said:
Plenty of situations where tubs are the cheapest way to supplement protein.
Maybe the most convenient but at 600 dollars more a ton you can't make that pencil cheaper.
You can if cows are few and the tubs allow you more time better spent at your 'real' job in town.

Welfare cattle.
You would be way ahead to buy liquid feed delivered at 310 a ton.

callmefence said:

Sort of like having that thousand dollar winch on the front of the truck. Sometimes you just can't put a price on convenience.

Urea won't hurt your horse. Consumption is very low and what they do eat they don't utilize it. Seen man liking on lick wheels with no harm done.

Caustic Burno said:
Son of Butch said:
Caustic Burno said:
Maybe the most convenient but at 600 dollars more a ton you can't make that pencil cheaper.
You can if cows are few and the tubs allow you more time better spent at your 'real' job in town.

Welfare cattle.
CB keep in mind they will eat at least 4 lbs. per head per day of the liquid vs 1 lb; of the tub

TexasBred said:
Caustic Burno said:
Son of Butch said:

Welfare cattle.
CB keep in mind they will eat at least 4 lbs. per head per day of the liquid vs 1 lb; of the tub

I agree I just look at the price of a pound of protein. I get 35% protein in a ton of supplement for 310 bucks for 700 lbs of protein. This versus 900 bucks for the same 35% in the tub. So I can buy 3 tons versus one and have it delivered to boot.

TexasBred said:
callmefence said:

Sort of like having that thousand dollar winch on the front of the truck. Sometimes you just can't put a price on convenience.

Urea won't hurt your horse. Consumption is very low and what they do eat they don't utilize it. Seen man liking on lick wheels with no harm done.

Winch isn't worth a plug nickel when you're 75' past the closest thing to snub off too. That's what a FWD is good for getting you to that point. I have pulled a many a deer hunter out through the years. City boys that have watched too many Chevy commercials.
I have left some as well in places I wouldn't put my tractor off in.

Son of Butch said:
Caustic Burno said:
callmefence said:

Also if a pasture is 30 miles or further away. We were able to eliminate 2 trips a week by using tubs. Looking at liquid feed this winter. But it don't pencil out much better than the tubs.

One tub will last 20-25 head roughly 1 month. If i can feed 1 tub for every 20-25 head and get another month before i have to feed any more additional feed, by using the tub and existing forage that would otherwise not be utilized . The cost is far cheaper then any other feed source mentioned in this thread. Its not about price per lb of protein. Its about price per pound of protein and additional supplemental feed not fed that adds to the bottom line.

Rmc said:
One tub will last 20-25 head roughly 1 month. If i can feed 1 tub for every 20-25 head and get another month before i have to feed any more additional feed, by using the tub and existing forage that would otherwise not be utilized . The cost is far cheaper then any other feed source mentioned in this thread. Its not about price per lb of protein. Its about price per pound of protein and additional supplemental feed not fed that adds to the bottom line.

You got one thing right it is about the price and additional supplement feed .
That's why liquid beats the tub hands down.

elkwc said:
Son of Butch said:
Caustic Burno said:

Also if a pasture is 30 miles or further away. We were able to eliminate 2 trips a week by using tubs. Looking at liquid feed this winter. But it don't pencil out much better than the tubs.

Liquid feed tank will go in that pasture. They deliver there as well the convenience blows messing with tubs out of the water.

Caustic Burno said:
TexasBred said:
callmefence said:

Winch isn't worth a plug nickel when you're 75' past the closest thing to snub off too. That's what a FWD is good for getting you to that point. I have pulled a many a deer hunter out through the years. City boys that have watched too many Chevy commercials.

You give a pretty good example here of a scenario where liquid feed won't work.

Caustic Burno said:
TexasBred said:
Caustic Burno said:
Welfare cattle.

I agree I just look at the price of a pound of protein. I get 35% protein in a ton of supplement for 310 bucks for 700 lbs of protein. This versus 900 bucks for the same 35% in the tub. So I can buy 3 tons versus one and have it delivered to boot.

Here you explain why you can't see it.

I can buy a 25 horse tractor for way less than a 80. That wouldn't make it cheapest.

Caustic Burno said:
TexasBred said:
Caustic Burno said:
Welfare cattle.

What is that? Liquid feed???

callmefence said:
Caustic Burno said:
TexasBred said:

You give a pretty good example here of a scenario where liquid feed won't work.

Caustic Burno said:
TexasBred said:

Here you explain why you can't see it.

I can buy a 25 horse tractor for way less than a 80. That wouldn't make it cheapest.
How is he wrong?

TexasBred said:
So much for trying to help somebody. I'm done. (psssst,,,,,,, liquid feed is 80% water)
tb, i was curious what you thought about this. so supplement with something other than the liquid protein?

Caustic Burno said:
elkwc said:
Son of Butch said:

Liquid feed tank will go in that pasture. They deliver there as well the convenience blows messing with tubs out of the water.

Liquid feed penciled out higher last year. And so far this year it will also. They do deliver but charge mileage and a tank fee.

TexasBred said:
So much for trying to help somebody. I'm done. (psssst,,,,,,, liquid feed is 80% water)

Yes and as compared to tubs for dry matter is %1500 per ton +-

We use tubs in various places. Best use is winter range as they keep the cows out longer on rough grass and they don't associate the feed truck as compared to feeding pellets every day. If we get a cold snap the cows will follow to feed truck back to the gate when they are done and stand there and bawl rather than rustle for grass.
Calving time or the younger cows is another use. Gives them a little boost that ends up with more bred and the calves are licking in tubs rather than dirt. Health and fertility is worth a lot.
We have been using Orwig 18% tubs the last few years and they have worked out to 75 cents or less per day. Those high protein tubs can be a waste of money as a lot of protein can be passed through unused if the roughage they are eating is not good quality.

Latest posts