The Eclipse

Help Support CattleToday:

As an update, traffic is OK on the interstate but nothing to get excited about. The local newspaper keeps showing pictures of empty roads. I'm glad they overestimated rather than the reverse, but looks like the sky will remain where it is instead of falling as predicted.

South bound traffic was a lot heavier than normal this morning. Not terrible but over twice what is normal for 8:30 on a Sunday morning. Lots of vehicles with Seattle licenses and some BC plates with camping gear stuffed in them. On my way back home the south bound traffic on I-5 in Centralia was jammed up and just crawling.

Bigfoot":4vik7hna said:
Again, we are supposedly the longest totality. City/county has admitted to spending $500,000 on it so far. Free concerts, lots of events. I took a ride this morning just to check it out. Not enough people here from out of town to start a rumor. We're going to have egg on our face, on f we don't have a bunch come tomorrow.

Exact same situation here, except WE are supposed to have the longest totality. Lol

We changed our plans. Staying home now. We'll have 88% coverage here anyway, and I'm not driving 7 hours one way for an additional 12%. I am taking off work, and loading up kids and grandkids to go to the creek. Clear water creek, a cold beer, and watching the sky get fuzzy is good with me.

We are 5 miles from the centerline of the total eclipse and only 3.8 seconds shorter than the longest duration. Nothing going crazy here, wife went into town this evening nothing special going on. Some friends are coming out tomorrow. I will work and when the kids tell me to come and see it I will. Work doesn't stop, cows still need me.

My next door neighbor actually just posted about keeping your pets inside or they might go blind... I really thought better of that family, and it didn't look like they were kidding... *sigh*

Now imagine if someone at NASA misplaced a decimal point, and futzed up the day/time or percentage of the eclipse.. That now really would be the end of the world methinks.

Nesikep":1202q2av said:
My next door neighbor actually just posted about keeping your pets inside or they might go blind... I really thought better of that family, and it didn't look like they were kidding... *sigh*

I've seen where people posted something similar. Only humans are stupid enough to stare at the sun. Animals are smart enough not to worry about it.

I'm 30 miles from St Joesph Mo.
Chinesse believe a baby concived in the eclipse is something special. They have rented Menard's parking lot and put a fence around it. Don't know what they are gonna' do.
I-29 is closed to one lane for traffic control.
US 36 is the same way.
Hope no one shows up. gs

plumber_greg":vb2v9rci said:
I'm 30 miles from St Joesph Mo.
Chinesse believe a baby concived in the eclipse is something special. They have rented Menard's parking lot and put a fence around it. Don't know what they are gonna' do.
I-29 is closed to one lane for traffic control.
US 36 is the same way.
Hope no one shows up. gs

My wife visited friends in St. Joe over the weekend. They were saying they are planning for up to 500,000 people to come to town. Crazy! I'm going to the sale barn like normal for lunch and will glance up as I walk to my truck and head back to work.

Bestoutwest":1gxj9kup said:
This article has me a bit worried. I have heard that in one area the sheriff is telling ranchers to bring cattle closer to home to keep an eye on them b/c they have a group of Satanists wanting to do a sacrifice. I have also heard that officials are expecting 40,000 in a town of 62 (you read that correctly) and was told today by a patient that they only have 7 porta potties available. I'm not sure if I believe that one. Anyway, I think I may actually work with the brother of the farmer in the article, so it will be interesting to see how this turned out vs. what the paper reported.
https://www.eastidahonews.com/2017/08/s ... ted-field/

For anyone else in the path of totality, what are they expecting in your area?
Living out in the country I doubt I'll hardly even notice other than the sky being more dim. I think we're suppose to get about 75% coverage.

Well it did get crazy here. Folks everywhere. I'm in hay, so I don't have long. Came in wallow go, and a guy was in the yard with a bunch of equipment. He had driven here from south Alabama, and walked here from town. I drove him up to the big hill on the back of me. He seemed pretty stoked. I'm going n hay today, so gotta go.

Latest posts