The Eclipse

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
This article has me a bit worried. I have heard that in one area the sheriff is telling ranchers to bring cattle closer to home to keep an eye on them b/c they have a group of Satanists wanting to do a sacrifice. I have also heard that officials are expecting 40,000 in a town of 62 (you read that correctly) and was told today by a patient that they only have 7 porta potties available. I'm not sure if I believe that one. Anyway, I think I may actually work with the brother of the farmer in the article, so it will be interesting to see how this turned out vs. what the paper reported.
https://www.eastidahonews.com/2017/08/s ... ted-field/

For anyone else in the path of totality, what are they expecting in your area?

Everybody here seems excited to view it, but I don't think we will be getting many tourists in my immediate area.

Chevy? Hope they weren't trying to eat her horses.
"SHELLEY FARMER FINDS GROUP OF TOURISTS CAMPED IN MIDDLE OF Planted field"

We thought about taking a little drive to see some new country and the eclipse at the same time until we started hearing about the influx of people and decided to treat it like any other day and go see new country at some other point in time as we tend to prefer sparse populations.

The population of Central Oregon is predicted to more than double over the next couple of days. One camp of >30,000 on private land in the Ochochos. We already have a pretty significant fire burning close to Sisters so that might stop a few people from coming. I'll be patrolling !

We're about ten miles from center of the whole thing, Makanda IL. Gonna lock the gates and stay at the farm all weekend. Hoping for no emergency calls (plumber) .

There expecting over 500,000 to come into a area of 4-5 counties that have less than 125,000 residents normally

goddy":hdabqmme said:
The population of Central Oregon is predicted to more than double over the next couple of days. One camp of >30,000 on private land in the Ochochos. We already have a pretty significant fire burning close to Sisters so that might stop a few people from coming. I'll be patrolling !

I saw an aerial photo of that site in the Ochochos. Unreal the number of campers. I heard that Bend, Redmond, and Madras are almost out of gas at all the stations.

Craig Miller":1ule9lp7 said:
Chevy? Hope they weren't trying to eat her horses.
"SHELLEY FARMER FINDS GROUP OF TOURISTS CAMPED IN MIDDLE OF Planted field"
Is she back? If not, how far did you have to dig in the memory vault to find that nugget?

cow pollinater":xf8vmnh8 said:
We thought about taking a little drive to see some new country and the eclipse at the same time until we started hearing about the influx of people and decided to treat it like any other day and go see new country at some other point in time as we tend to prefer sparse populations.
Same here. Was planning a 3 day mini-vacation, but after further study have decided to just hop on the side by side and drive around here with our welding helmets on, with big signs on front and back "THE END IS HERE". What could go wrong? If we don't entertain others, we'll at least entertain ourselves.

I have heard of people charging up to $2,000 to camp in their field and view the eclipse. I wonder which would be better charge $2,000 and have a few people or $100 each and stack them in like cord wood. There are some people making some serious money off this.

On the local news this morning they had a guy who went down to Madras, Oregon. It is listed as one of the top sites to view the eclipse in the nation. The town of 6,000 is expecting 1000,000 people. There was pictures of lines of tents set up in peoples yards.

Again, we are supposedly the longest totality. City/county has admitted to spending $500,000 on it so far. Free concerts, lots of events. I took a ride this morning just to check it out. Not enough people here from out of town to start a rumor. We're going to have egg on our face, on f we don't have a bunch come tomorrow.

Bigfoot":26bujwna said:
Again, we are supposedly the longest totality. City/county has admitted to spending $500,000 on it so far. Free concerts, lots of events. I took a ride this morning just to check it out. Not enough people here from out of town to start a rumor. We're going to have egg on our face, on f we don't have a bunch come tomorrow.

Maybe the hick population is just smarter than the left coasters. Sounds like the county commissioners need to go back to their base and learn fiscal responsibility.

darned if you do, darned if you don't... If you have no one show up, it was a waste of money, if you have a lot of people show up and aren't prepared, that's no good either... $500K sounds pretty spendy though

Latest posts