Starting to feel old and out of place

Help Support CattleToday:

I may be feeling the years a little, but I sure don't feel out of place. This is my place all others are out of place. My kids answer the phone when I call or call me back. I don't text and they know it. Nobody else texts from where I live either, they don't have cell service when they get here.

My mom would have been 105 today she passed in 02. I often think of the innovations they witnessed, from horse and buggy to man on the moon. My grandma never did believe we had put a man in outer space when she died in 1966 that was light years from 1880 when she was born.

My Father was born in 1888. I remember well Mother making hominy outside in the old cast iron washpot. She boiled hog heads in it to make souse. She also set a bowl of milk out with a cheese cloth covering to let it "clabber". I guess she made buttermilk from it. We kids would get a cup full and eat it like Jello. She also made butter in an old fashioned wooden churn. This thread has really brought back some memories.

M Gravlee said:
My Father was born in 1888. I remember well Mother making hominy outside in the old cast iron washpot. She boiled hog heads in it to make souse. She also set a bowl of milk out with a cheese cloth covering to let it "clabber". I guess she made buttermilk from it. We kids would get a cup full and eat it like Jello. She also made butter in an old fashioned wooden churn. This thread has really brought back some memories.

Probably was the first step in making cottage cheese. After it clabbered it went to the clothes line in a flour sack to drip dry. Never did and still don't like the stuff.

Still have the washpot Dad's mom had. Mom made soap in it, heated water to wash clothes in it and of course the hog killing duties.

I remember a glass jar with a wooden paddle to churn butter. Later she used a Sunbeam mixer to churn it out.

M Gravlee said:

Dang it man. Between you and he, y'all have covered quite a span of years. You must have came along when he was a good bit older than "normal" child rearing age.

On another note, good thing people don't have to live like that today. Bc they'd starve. Most people would have no idea how to make their own groceries. I'll admit, that there's some of it that I don't know how to do either. I've never made butter and cheese for one. But I can get a chicken, cow, or hog from the pen to the table so maybe I'll make it.

Some of you are way ahead of me. I wouldn't starve, but probably wouldn't be eatin as high on the hog as my maternal grandfather was.

I have made butter and cheese before, but till Falfurrias creamery goes out of business, I'll just keep buyin it.

JMJ Farms said:
M Gravlee said:

Dang it man. Between you and he, y'all have covered quite a span of years. You must have came along when he was a good bit older than "normal" child rearing age.

On another note, good thing people don't have to live like that today. Bc they'd starve. Most people would have no idea how to make their own groceries. I'll admit, that there's some of it that I don't know how to do either. I've never made butter and cheese for one. But I can get a chicken, cow, or hog from the pen to the table so maybe I'll make it.

I wonder if Mr. Gravlee meant his Grandfather? I am 68 and my Grandfather was born in 1882. It is possible that his father was maybe 40 or so when Mr. Gravlee was born but that would still make Mr. Gravlee almost a 100 years old.

Red Bull Breeder said:
Milk is clabbered to make butter. You ain't lived the life till you had a mess of hog brains and scrambled eggs.

My grandmother used to fix brains and eggs, I don't remember eating it or not. She also made souse and liver pudding. I like fries too, but haven't had any for a while.

Macon I can kinda relate my great grandma was born in 1859 died 1963 my great grandpa was twenty years older.
The war put a shortage on men for a couple generations. Eight thousand boys left east Texas and right at 800 returned home. Made slim pickens no matter the side you fought on.

My Grandpa said that working in the logging camps shortly after the turn of the century they treated the pigs better than the men. The pigs got straw for bedding. The men had rough sawed lumber bunks. They went out and picked ferns or boughs to sleep on. When a man got killed on the job (and that happened regularly) they just drug the body to the side and kept working until quitting time. The same if you were injured. You had better be able to survive until quitting time because they didn't halt work to take you to town. Schafer Bros logging down in the Grays Harbor area had a sign over their hiring office that read "If you can't fly, don't light here". They killed nearly a man a day. A good friend of my Dad's was working for them. That would have been right after WWII. He broke his arm at 7:30 in the morning. Rather than sitting there waiting until 5:00 to ride out on the speeder he walked out 6 miles to the cars so he could drive himself to the hospital.

Ky hills said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
Milk is clabbered to make butter. You ain't lived the life till you had a mess of hog brains and scrambled eggs.

My grandmother used to fix brains and eggs, I don't remember eating it or not. She also Madeleine souse and liver pudding. I like fries too, but haven't had any for a while.
Actually like brains and eggs. Not the souse, too many things squeaking and popping going on while you chewing

ALACOWMAN said:
Ky hills said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

My grandmother used to fix brains and eggs, I don't remember eating it or not. She also Madeleine souse and liver pudding. I like fries too, but haven't had any for a while.
Actually like brains and eggs. Not the souse, too many things squeaking and popping going on while you chewing
:lol2: That's funny ALA. Whenever we'd kill a hog my daddy would always have scrambled eggs and hog brains for breakfast the next morning and he'd get mad if I didn't eat any. I did just to please him but I sure didn't like it. My mother made souse meat and I did like that.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
cowboy43 said:
I was born 79 years after the civil war and now I am 4 years from being that old. My Grandfather was a plantation owner in Charleston S.C. and many relatives fought in the war. After the war they moved to Lockhart TX and owned 3 gins. Some came from Miss. I remember them talking in that strong southern drawl that is no longer heard around here. We made a tape of my mother talking and it sounded just like Lady Bird Johnson. I have a copy of a will distributing properties with slaves listed as property. I know this will offend some people , but I will not apologize because for how they lived because that is how it was back then. It was just a different time when I was growing up. No running water , electricity or indoor plumbing. My father was still plowing with mules when I was a kid. In 1952 he bought his first tractor a ford 8n. He worked at the local cattle auction and he stopped riding his horse to work and rode the tractor to work. :cboy:

I'd really like to spent a day with you listening to your stories. Hope we meet someday.

I was just going to say, I'd like to sit down and share a glass of tea with you. I'd sure value your time.

My grandparents were born in the 1915's give or take.. Never met my dad's side, they passed pretty young, my maternal grandmother lived to 98.. lived modestly their entire lives. We didn't have a whole lot while I was growing up, we bought the farm when I was 12, so we had to pay that off.. I've lived out of the back of a rusted out Chevy blazer when I had to later... I attribute living like that to being a bit of a hoarder now.. I have a heck of a time throwing stuff out.. a 6" long piece of 2x2" angle iron definitely has a use.

As one fellow I know said "I've done so much with so little, for so long, that now I can make anything out of nothing"

Latest posts