Squeeze Chute and Loading Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

Bamadan

Reaction score
Any of you have your squeeze chute located in your loading chute? Is this a do-able thing, if so how? Any ideas on how to make this work would be welcome, pictures, drawings would be good also. Note: I'm a retired small (20 or so head) cow/calf operation, one man show.
Thanks

Our old main chute set up is made by Belhn mfg. It consists of a squeeze tub, Y devider, curved adjustable alley and squeeze chute. (I'll try and get some pictures)
When the cattle are in the tub the first thing they come to us the Y devider. We have it set up so that we can select three directions; if both selector gates are to the left the cattle go to the goose neck load out. If one selector gate is left and one is right then the cattle go to the semi load out. If both selector gates are to the right then the cattle go down the alley to the squeeze chute. The alley is only one section.
It works good, and if you need to bring a cow from another place to treat you can unload to the tub, change the gates and the cow is pointed to the chute without having to get in with her.

Like you, I run a few head over 20 at any given time. This set up works well for me. Excuse my drawing as it is not to scale, but should illustrate the concept. My chute has swinging doors on either side, so if I do not want the cow to load out, I can cut it back into the corral, or cut it out into the larger catch lot from the other side of chute. I back my trailer right up to the posts labeled load out. So, to answer your question, I absolutely load from my working chute. After the head gate on the chute, I have a 7 ft run leading up to the load out. Works well for my purposes and I can work cattle by myself if need be.

Also, during calving season, i can put cows inside the barn(more small pens) from corral due to weather or any other problems.

bball said:

Like you, I run a few head over 20 at any given time. This set up works well for me. Excuse my drawing as it is not to scale, but should illustrate the concept. My chute has swinging doors on either side, so if I do not want the cow to load out, I can cut it back into the corral, or cut it out into the larger catch lot from the other side of chute. I back my trailer right up to the posts labeled load out. So, to answer your question, I absolutely load from my working chute. After the head gate on the chute, I have a 7 ft run leading up to the load out. Works well for my purposes and I can work cattle by myself if need be.
I really like that setup bball. I wish I had some yards I need to build to copy your design. I think that would work well for me. Gives you lots of options after they have been worked.

Ken

bird dog said:
Interesting concept SBMF. I also would like to see some pictures.

I hope these help. Sorry it snowed last night.
Our alley to the chute does not turn as sharp as in my drawing.

Nice setup. It looks like it would work very well. I guessing that stacked gate on the gooseneck load out is to keep them from attempting to jump over?

bird dog said:
Nice setup. It looks like it would work very well. I guessing that stacked gate on the gooseneck load out is to keep them from attempting to jump over?

Yes, the double stacked gates keep the cattle from trying to jump out. It also gives me a place to climb. I've been Herdsmen for this herd for 20 years. The last ten years I've culled hard on disposition. We run Angus , Charolais, F1 and Angus Hereford F1's.
They used to run Angus, Charolais, and limousine. If they raised a calf they stayed until they didn't. There were some real head hunters when I started.
We also use a lot of highway guard rail for working corrals.

Putting a dirt ramp at my load out area to where they don't have to jump to get in the trailer made a world of difference to my set up. It especially works well with calves.

Latest posts