Sold blk/bwf May/June Steers Today

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Our calves were much lighter this year. I did not creep with home raised oats. They came off cow pasture after Thanksgiving and then did not get alot of grain while weaning.

- Bigger cut was 595# at U$S 1.50 or $893. They went to SD.
- Smaller cut was 522# at $1.65 or $861. They went to a local grow yard.

Alot of color, and alot of big fleshy feeders, at this sale. Strongest demand for green 5 weights.

Sold my spring calves yesterday at Joplin in a special value added sale,they done well.Weaned Oct 20,hand fed 1% body weight of a 14% protein grain based commodity mix the coop makes,free choice fescue hay,salt,mineral.They were black balancers.
8 strs wt 876 -$143.50
6 strs wt 808 -$143.00
9 hfrs wt 766 -$135.00
4 hfrs wt 722 -$136.00
I kept 5 heifers for replacements.

Hey Frank, do you have any idea what your daily gain for the calves was after they were weaned? Your after weaning program is similar to mine. BTW you prices were very good.

No I don't know for sure,but this bunch done the best I've ever had here.Best guess would be between 2.2 and 2.4 lbs day gain after weaning,I don't have a scale.I always target 2 lbs,usually feel like get close,but a little short.Had a kinda perfect storm here this last year I guess.Growed more grass and made better quality hay than ever before,calves were bigger at wean time,and never slowed up.They stayed healthy and docile.Implanted the steers a little different,probably helped,heifers were not implanted.These were out of a different bull.

Sold 45 weaned calves last night. Don't have paper in front of me heifers around 129 steers 139. Wife did a spread sheet made about 200 a head weaning them vs oct. prices. Counting everything but my time. None died. Had more heifers than steers. Was a weaned weigh in sale. Sold 1500 head in comingled load lots.

Latest posts