Sick Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

redsimangus

Reaction score
Hi i just bought me a light weight steer to feed and about a week after i brought him home he got a respitory prob. Got him in the headgate and he was running a temp about 104 to 140.5. Treated him with baytril and banamine. Seemed to help a little but he still looked droopy so i gave him a shot of draxxin and that got him back to eating but his ears still droop and his temp still is hanging around 103.5. i had him on auromycin to but didnt help much is ther anything else i could do????

Baytril should be used under the recommendation of a vet. It should not be used as a first line drug, I have never had the need to use this drug. There are cheaper alternative. Same goes for Draxxin, I use that drug in cases where access to the patient is not convenient or difficult.
You should talk to your vet, they can set up a program to follow when you are faced with a sick calf.

Did you purchase out of the salebarn? First thing I do when ive bought feeders is worm them and give them a shot of la200 wait 24 hours then calfhood vaccinate them if they are not running a fever. If I were you and this has been going on awhile may want to load him up and go see the DOC. Hopefully this is just shipping fever.

Koffi those drugs are the only thing that work on our place and that is what are vet has recommended is the baytril and if that dont work then do draxxin. la200 does not work for shipping fever over here so we are forced to use the expensive drugs. Cloud9 That is exactly what i do is give them a worming and la300 usually since it is a bit longer acting but la300 has prevented it for us lately but it wont cure it but it will prevent it i have talked to the vet and he said to just keep it up but it looks like now the calf is over the sickness!!!! :banana:

redsimangus":3lne5b9d said:
Hi i just bought me a light weight steer to feed and about a week after i brought him home he got a respitory prob. Got him in the headgate and he was running a temp about 104 to 140.5. Treated him with baytril and banamine. Seemed to help a little but he still looked droopy so i gave him a shot of draxxin and that got him back to eating but his ears still droop and his temp still is hanging around 103.5. i had him on auromycin to but didnt help much is ther anything else i could do????

Did you use a probiotic after that many drugs. It can't have much good bacteria left...

redsimangus":2xj4vzfj said:
Koffi those drugs are the only thing that work on our place and that is what are vet has recommended is the baytril and if that dont work then do draxxin. la200 does not work for shipping fever over here so we are forced to use the expensive drugs. Cloud9 That is exactly what i do is give them a worming and la300 usually since it is a bit longer acting but la300 has prevented it for us lately but it wont cure it but it will prevent it i have talked to the vet and he said to just keep it up but it looks like now the calf is over the sickness!!!! :banana:

:???: :?

boondocks":3eq1s5li said:
redsimangus":3eq1s5li said:

:???: :?
Yes, that confused me also.

What i was trying to say was that la300 will not cure BRD on our farm. But when we bring calves home from the sale or wherever we got them if we give them a shot of la300 it will help prevent the calves from getting BRD.

redsimangus":jtq28tgl said:
What i was trying to say was that la300 will not cure BRD on our farm. But when we bring calves home from the sale or wherever we got them if we give them a shot of la300 it will help prevent the calves from getting BRD.

So you give it to well cows as a preventative?

redsimangus":2swaot6a said:

On well calves I would consider a respiratory vaccine vs. antibiotics for prevention.

fitz

fitz":2o2mdajx said:
redsimangus":2o2mdajx said:

On well calves I would consider a respiratory vaccine vs. antibiotics for prevention.

fitz
:nod: My thoughts exactly.

the antibiotic is only for the first couple of days to keep them going. i too give a vaccine BUT the vaccine doesnt build immunity for close to a week. the antibiotic is to keep them going until the vaccine kicks in. When you bring calves home from the sale the first couple days are more than likely going to be the days when they get sick with the stress from being at the sale so if you give them a vaccine its NOT going to help those first 2 to 3 days since it has not had time to build immunity. that is why i use the antibiotic

redsimangus":1lnljby3 said:
the antibiotic is only for the first couple of days to keep them going. i too give a vaccine BUT the vaccine doesnt build immunity for close to a week. the antibiotic is to keep them going until the vaccine kicks in. When you bring calves home from the sale the first couple days are more than likely going to be the days when they get sick with the stress from being at the sale so if you give them a vaccine its NOT going to help those first 2 to 3 days since it has not had time to build immunity. that is why i use the antibiotic
I understand why you are using it. But you are just contributing to bacterial resistance to our current antibiotics with the over use. (Which we already have a big problem with.) You would be better off checking temps and only treating sick animals. Lucky P who is a vet, just discussed this.
BTW your vaccines are usually going to take closer to 14 days after the 2 nd booster if they haven't had a first set already. (You do give the 2nd booster don't you?)

Yes i do the booster but i just threw out the week because i wasnt quite sure when the vaccine kicked in but i knew it was at least a week

Latest posts