Droopy calf

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
I have a 3 week old calf that just don't act like he feels good . This cold weather is not helping but he was doing this before the cold and rainy weather. What vitamin shot or other pick me up do you guys use ?

I have a 3 week old calf that just don't act like he feels good . This cold weather is not helping but he was doing this before the cold and rainy weather. What vitamin shot or other pick me up do you guys use ?

If the calf is chilled, warm it up. Sometimes once a calf gets chilled it will have a hard time moderating its temperature afterwards for quite a while.

If it isn't chilled and is just dopey, you might mix a good shot of coffee into some cream so it gets the caffeine. I've done it with chocolate too.

And of course everyone will want to know if it's sucking or if it has diarrhea...

No scours , I've got him at the hay barn . He's out of a first calf heifer . She's doing a fair job milking but this time of year he's not getting too much .

Don't know about your cows but mine don't milk as good on hay as they do eating good green grass . Maybe some of their energy goes into staying warm , and not into feeding their calf .

I'd start by taking his temp and make sure he doesn't have pneumonia. Any other symptoms? Do you know if he got colostrum in a timely manner? As far as the calf not getting much, have you checked the heifer to make sure she doesn't have mastitis and is the calf going from teat to teat? Is the calf a little hunched? And have you tried to stick your finger in his mouth to see if he'll suck?

Latest posts