Sick calf...not looking good

Help Support CattleToday:

LOL yes, Simmental. A twin that wouldn't suck. I am very aware of the esophageal groove, but I have NEVER heard you couldn't tube after a few days old. I have had a calf or two in my few years' experience that were well over a few days old that got sick and had to be tube fed and turned them around.
Interesting twist of what I thought I knew. Do you have any articles I could read about it?

If your calf is still alive, put a blanket on it, if it's below 50 degrees where you live. That way it's energy won't be going to staying warm, also give it clostrum, (even if it's the powdered stuff). I know clostrum isn't supposed to work after the calf is 24 hours old. But I have gave clostrum to weak calves that were flat out on their side a couple of days old that Never nursed, and 12 hours later they were standing up with help and they had rapid recovery after that. I've even given clostrum to 2 week old calves that had questionable amounts of clostrum, that were constantly sick , and once I gave them the clostrum, they recovered quickly and didn't get sick again. I've had it help to many times to be a coincidence.

I have tube fed calves for a week and they did pull out of it also.
One thing I will mention about electrolytes - they cannot be given with milk. There needs to be 2-3 hours in between feedings.
People who tube feed milk after the first couple of days and haven't had problems should feel very fortunate. I've seen many calves get sick and die from well-intentioned people tube feeding milk.

It depends on the formulation, but some electrolytes can safely be fed with milk - it will say on the label. Bluelite Replenish and Diaque can both be mixed with milk replacer, off the top of my head.

Let me ask my bovine internist friend about a paper on the esophageal groove. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Here is a web site that explains the esophageal groove.

Yes, that's a good article, but does not address tube feeding.
If a calf will not suck, you have to tube them - not much option. If you tube them on day 1 or day 7, I can't see what difference it would make. Maybe it's not as well utilized compared to sucking, but they sure don't starve if you tube them.

Yes, that's a good article, but does not address tube feeding.
If a calf will not suck, you have to tube them - not much option. If you tube them on day 1 or day 7, I can't see what difference it would make. Maybe it's not as well utilized compared to sucking, but they sure don't starve if you tube them.
Friend of mine has a calf that ended up with a broken jaw & leg during a hard pull & subsequent c-section. Vet put a pin in the jaw and she had to tube him for a week before he could finally master the bottle (mama has zero interest in him). But he's alive and getting around!

My bovine internist friend got back to me. He told me that I was partially correct. Some calves, if tube fed after 48 hours, will keep the milk in the rumen, ferment it and get scours and acidotic and possible die. Some calves will quickly empty the milk that you put into the rumen into the abomasum for a few days after the 48 hour time limit and do not get sick (and so you can safely tube feed them for a few more days). My apologies for being incomplete in what I wrote.

We had a 3 week premature calf. He was not strong enough to suckle from momma. We tubed him for the first 5 days with colostrum and on the 4th day we added some white monster to the mix. On the 5th day when i went to feed he was on his momma... Sucking with his tail wagging. We have never been successful with a preemie until this year and I think the white monster gave him the energy he needed. He is 3 weeks old today and doing great.

We had a 3 week premature calf. He was not strong enough to suckle from momma. We tubed him for the first 5 days with colostrum and on the 4th day we added some white monster to the mix. On the 5th day when i went to feed he was on his momma... Sucking with his tail wagging. We have never been successful with a preemie until this year and I think the white monster gave him the energy he needed. He is 3 weeks old today and doing great.
What is white monster?

Yes, the monster drink in the white can. Someone told me this and so we tried it. It was the first sucess story we have had with preemie calves.
Once when i had a cow go down the vet tubed her with coffee, like a whole tin of the instant stuff, said the caffeine will get her going and if it doesnt nothing was going to help her. She picked up for a day and then dropped dead.

Once when i had a cow go down the vet tubed her with coffee, like a whole tin of the instant stuff, said the caffeine will get her going and if it doesnt nothing was going to help her. She picked up for a day and then dropped dead.
Red, when I 1st graduated where I worked they had these Gastric Stimulant powders for cattle, they contained a bit of arsenic and strychnine. They used to be handy in those situations and sometimes got the impression that they helped. Good stuff from the era of James Herriot.

Ken

Red, when I 1st graduated where I worked they had these Gastric Stimulant powders for cattle, they contained a bit of arsenic and strychnine. They used to be handy in those situations and sometimes got the impression that they helped. Good stuff from the era of James Herriot.

Ken
Ken -- I think that is what is in the antidote for tall larkspur here (the vagus nerve gets paralyzed and they bloat). The old timers used to pack a can of Copenhagen into whatever end of the distressed cow was handiest and let the nicotine do the work.

Latest posts