road trip Tn. to Ok,

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
Wife and me took a little road trip a few days back flew to Knoxville TN. then drove down through NC , SC, GA, AL, MI, AR. and back to Okla. I could not believe how few cows I saw from Tn. to Al. I guess being from Okla. I am use to seeing hundreds of them and was surprised at how few I saw. I also did not see but maybe 1 sale barn here in Ok. we have them every place. It sure is different in different parts of the country.

BRYANT said:
Wife and me took a little road trip a few days back flew to Knoxville TN. then drove down through NC , SC, GA, AL, MI, AR. and back to Okla. I could not believe how few cows I saw from Tn. to Al. I guess being from Okla. I am use to seeing hundreds of them and was surprised at how few I saw. I also did not see but maybe 1 sale barn here in Ok. we have them every place. It sure is different in different parts of the country.

I think a lot of it depends on the route you took and did you stay to the interstates or backroads (Speaking about just East Tennessee here).

My wife and I make the trip from here in KY to the Poteau, OK area where she is from about once a year. We take I 40 from Nashville on through most of Arkansas. Not many cattle visible from the road on that route. There used to be several registered cattle farms in TN and it seemed like a pretty hot area for that for several breeds, not sure if that is still the case or not. There are a few stockyards in the southern Ky area that get cattle from TN. There is a stockyards that we pass by near I 65 in Cross Plains TN. About the most visible agriculture we see along the road going to and from is the crops on the Arkansas side right out of Memphis. Twice we have come through at times when they were crop dusting with a little airplane I had never seen that before. As for cattle locally here in KY there are still quite a few although that is declining. I would say that off of the main roads here there are fairly comparable numbers of farms with cattle as the area in southeast OK although some of their farms likely have larger herd numbers.
On a side note I have recently thought seriously about relocating to southeast OK. The winters wouldn't be cold as long and no hills ( even though my wife says there are but not like they are here). We have laughed about what a convoy of us moving out there would look like with tractors and cattle etc.

sstterry said:
BRYANT said:

I think a lot of it depends on the route you took and did you stay to the interstates or backroads (Speaking about just East Tennessee here).
we pretty much used smaller high ways left Pigeon forge and dropped down through some states we never had been to , pretty much just sight seeing, looking at the leaves, just some time to get away and take life easy, was no set time to be home or certain rout we had to take,. we enjoyed it.

The route I've found to see sale barns is I-44 through Missouri. I love to see those barns with lots of covered pens - ours is either muddy or dusty, there is no in between. One of these days maybe I'll have time to stop and look around when we're passing through on a sale day...

You'll see more crop land up next to the roads around here in small parcels..broke up by the mountains. the cattle in smaller numbers usually 25 -30 head in the back...on ground better suited for grazing ..it other word there's cattle there you don't see..easier to see in those wide open spaces..

Here in east central KY, we have 4 stockyards within under a 30 mile radius, and another 5 within around 60 miles. Used to be a few more smaller ones around about that distance too but they have closed down.

Oh, we certainly have no shortage of sale barns near us either. I work at one and routinely haul in and out of several others. Just meant that there are several located right off that highway, and like I said I've always thought those sale barns with the covered pens are kinda cool. I'm always intrigued with all the different pen layouts and how they work.

DLD said:
Oh, we certainly have no shortage of sale barns near us either. I work at one and routinely haul in and out of several others. Just meant that there are several located right off that highway, and like I said I've always thought those sale barns with the covered pens are kinda cool. I'm always intrigued with all the different pen layouts and how they work.
That used to be my favorite pastime, running around the country, was looking for pens and corralls, and how different parts of the country approached it.

Latest posts