Retirement

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd said:
Been few years since I had a Dairy. But the best I can remember there was a marketing order for zones set up to make sure there was enough milk produced for the area. The milk was priced on classes as to how it was used with the fluid milk used for drinking was the highest price a bonus for a high butter fat content. And then you had classes of milk that brought a lower price that was manufactured into cheese and milk powder. Here is the USDA website for the southeast marketing order with prices for each month for the classes of milk.
http://www.dallasma.com/order_prices/class_prices_reports.jsp?cat=3and4

I still don't understand why American farmers have a hard on for the dairy system in Canada. I don't understand why Trump wants to disrupt it so bad either. I have tried reading about how Fairlife is doing in Canada since Trump pushed it in but I cant seem to see any real data. Are the efforts to push American dairy in Canada and other parts of the world working?

On another interesting note about the steel trade. My step father owns a steel company in Canada. What trump did actually benefits us. It has made it impossible for Canadians to buy American steel. Or too pricey. Which is great for us because those customers we lost to the cheaper steel you can get in the US had to come crawling back.

bird dog said:
Its just a trash piece from the Washington Post to bash Trump. Notice how quick they were to blame him. No mention of the the unfair milk subsidies that the Canadian government give to protect their dairy industry and how Trump is trying to change it.
The always factual Google says this when you ask how much do Canadian dairy farmers make.

"Today, dairy farmers make up just six per cent of all Canadian farmers. The average dairy producer's net worth is nearly $5 million, and in 2016, the average producer earned an income of about $160,000, even after operating expenses had been paid, according to the most recent numbers available from Statistics Canada.Oct 4, 2018"

Its embarrassing how bad our newspaper industry has become.
Your dairy surplus is greater than all of Canada's dairy production combined, nevermind the fact that Canadian producers get more for their milk.. Canadian trade has NOTHING to do with low US milk prices

hurleyjd said:
Dave said:
Caustic Burno said:
You need to move to a country you might like.
Kenya?

They have a 305 acre dairy farm and no food? Raise a huge garden. Can fruit and vegetables. She complains about the price of cheese? Make your own. It isn't that hard. It is not even thinking outside the box. It is what people have been doing for years.
I knew when I posted this it would bring out all of the Tumpers. This woman should not fuss Trump gave Them $4500 dollars of the money he paid out to farmers to keep them going because of the trade war. She only spends $175 a month then this $4500 would keep them going for 25 months.
$4500 given to them (per year I guess?) doesn't make up for a $4K a month loss of income on the farm

Perhaps if fast food chains didn't charge $1 for a slice of kraft singles on a lousy burger that would help (though how much milk is in there is debateable
https://psmag.com/economics/what-will-the-us-government-do-with-1-4-billion-pounds-of-cheese

https://www.livekindly.co/u-s-dairy-farmers-struggle-with-milk-surplus-vegan-options-drive-market-shift/
in 2016, 43 million gallons of milk were discarded in the US

Rather than fixing your system, you'd rather break everyone else's by the sounds of it

Nesikep said:
Perhaps if fast food chains didn't charge $1 for a slice of kraft singles on a lousy burger that would help (though how much milk is in there is debateable
https://psmag.com/economics/what-will-the-us-government-do-with-1-4-billion-pounds-of-cheese

https://www.livekindly.co/u-s-dairy-farmers-struggle-with-milk-surplus-vegan-options-drive-market-shift/
in 2016, 43 million gallons of milk were discarded in the US

Rather than fixing your system, you'd rather break everyone else's by the sounds of it

I see it the same. Seems the only people with an ssue with the Canadian dairy system are non Canadians.

<<Seems the only people with an ssue with the Canadian dairy system are non Canadians.>>

I imagine there are a lot of Canadian consumers that have a issue with the dairy system when they are standing in the checkout line paying over $2 per two L container. About twice as high as the U.S.

But I agree, the system is broken by over production on both sides of the border and as long as both governments protect the industry, it will never fix itself.

bird dog said:
<<Seems the only people with an ssue with the Canadian dairy system are non Canadians.>>

I imagine there are a lot of Canadian consumers that have a issue with the dairy system when they are standing in the checkout line paying over $2 per two L container. About twice as high as the U.S.

But I agree, the system is broken by over production on both sides of the border and as long as both governments protect the industry, it will never fix itself.
Someday the US will be paying the same for the milk, just wait until every small producer is gone and Walmart has vertically integrated it's supply chain, with no more competition.. and who cares what it does to local economies, who cares about conditions, or anything else.
I don't agree with the Canadian system where quota is worth money, or at least the exorbitant value of it, but when milk is half the price of fuel, I don't see how anyone can keep lights on.

The US is already paying the same as Canada, the other half of the cost is paid by the taxpayer through various subsidies. At least that was the claim of one of those videos perhaps linked to on another thread.

bird dog said:

So $2 will buy you two liters. Two liters equal .53 gallon. I pay $3.98 a gallon at Bruams. Looks to be about the same price.

bird dog said:
<<I pay $3.98 a gallon at Bruams>>

Is it better than other milk?

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/park-manor-whole-milk-limit-4-/1073487
I am limited to Walmart,Brahms, Brookshires and the dollar Store. All milk about the same price. No HEB close.

bird dog said:
<<I pay $3.98 a gallon at Bruams>>

Is it better than other milk?

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/park-manor-whole-milk-limit-4-/1073487

I believe Braum's milk is the best that I know of. I wish we could get it here. We get Kroger's milk here cause it's the best we have found in this area. To us there is a noticeable difference in milk.

Braums milk is usually as cheap as anyplace in town - or used to be at least. That was one of Bill Braums policies, but since his heirs have taken over, a lot of the old policies are changing.

2019 was a great time for the stock holders on here. Question how much cash do you hold for emergencies. I try for about 25% of the portfolio value.

<<Question how much cash do you hold for emergencies.>> Very little if any. That's what credit cards are for. Besides with most brokerage accounts if you sign up for a margin account, you can write a check backed by your holdings.

Its just like having a credit line thats cost free until you need it.

Portfolio and cash in checking account are different beasts in my book. I am still saving and have been retired over 12 years. I am just wired that way being raised by depression era parents.
My oldest brother was born during it.
My main concern for cash on hand is medical today for the Mrs. one cardiac incident and we hit the max out of pocket for her.

haase said:
Dont worry cb, we have Obamacare.
I have medicare and enough to pay any deductibles that occur. Been thinking about this retiring thread for a while. Been in the stock market since 1981. Been through the ups and downs. I have spent some of the profits along the way. Really have been giving some thought to it in the last few days. Turned 79 right recently and thought about 90 years old, just 11 years to there if I live that long. I could sell all of the land at what the county appraisal says it is worth and all of the stock and go cash with it all. Lots of capital gains in it land that we have owned for more than 25 years. Any way if I went cash there would be enough left over after long term capital gains tax of 28% to get by. Not ever having any gains such as interest on the cash account there would be in the neighborhood of about $120000 to spend each year not counting any pensions or SS. Yep will be paying taxes for a long time. Not a lot of things two old people can find to spend that much money on. The $120000 would not be taxed as it is not income. Only income tax owed would be on the pensions and SS income which would not be much. Would have a home after all is said and done because the home is not on any of the land.

Income is not as concerning as medical
we have been at the hospital or a doctors office every day since Friday.
Even hitting the max out of pocket it's 60 miles one way to the heart institute.
It just cost more to be old.
Wife and I have a Cadillac plan with max out of pocket. It's all costly even with good insurance.

Latest posts