Recent Feeder Market

Help Support CattleToday:

I sold a load at a feeder special on the 10th. 5 weights brought around $2.00. Had one that weighed 630 only brought $1.70, same quality. 5 weights always bring the most per pound around here. Don't know what they've done since then.

Yep. They were off last wk. It will be interesting to see what they do today. We are having perfect harvest weather. I would think all classes would be off today.

I went yesterday. I wrote down the first 20 lots to come in the ring.
6 black steers weighing 568 $1.89.
3 " " " 473 $2.00
2 520 $1.90
8 521 $1.90
2 Hereford steers 545 $1.64
9 Black heifer 522 $1.6850
7 black heifers 593 $1.6450

That was all the 500 weight cattle I recorded. ^00 and 700 weight cattle were only a penny or two behind. The one to surprise were 1,000- 1,100 pound heifer preg checked open at the ranch. Obviously replacement heifers that didn't take. They sold for $1.40-1.45.

Getting into "dead calf month"-don't prices normally drop this time of year?
Depends on the weather. We are dry, again, so no.

We often see fall rains and a seasonal 5 wt. price decline in mid-October, but this year prices seem to have peaked in August. Steers were over $2 then and are in the mid 180s now. This really drops the VOG for light calves...

Should I blame Putin or Brandon?

Last edited:
Friend sold Black Angus open heifers at his ranch in Montana. They weighed 950# and dollared out at $1570 after the shrink. This was just a week ago.

Depends on the weather. We are dry, again, so no.

We often see fall rains and a seasonal 5 wt. price decline in mid-October, but this year prices seem to have peaked in August. Steers were over $2 then and are in the mid 180s now. This really drops the VOG for light calves...

Should I blame Putin or Brandon?
Probably both….

I noticed a slight 10-20 cent decline in prices on the steers mostly over 450-5... the 650-8 wts were close to what they were a month ago...
Stock market has taken a beating overall... down then up a little then down a bunch... heard a rumor that "those in the know" are saying it might get down to 26,000.... before it levels out... and this inflation is going to get quite a bit worse.
Then the UK swore they were not going to print any more money because of the runaway infaltion... and at the possibility of the banks failing, they were printing money I heard today....
Things like that are going to affect the cattle markets some too.

Talk about inflation. I ws on my way to the sale. I hadn't eaten breakfast. It would be a couple hours until I got to the sale and the cafe there. I stopped to grab a snack. A package of Twinklies, as in 2 Twinklies in the package. $3.39..... I think not.

Last Thursday of the month is sheep and goat special. After watching a million sheep and two hundred thousand goats sell that finally got to the cattle. Lambs were $1.20 and 100 pound Boer goats were $2.00. The boys didn't even let me play today. Steers weighing 398 sold for $2.14. That is $850 for a steer who doesn't weigh 400 pounds. They must have cheaper feed than I do. My pencil isn't that sharp. I bought 2 yesterday. Paid $1.70 for one and $1.88 for the other (390 & 370 pounds)

I sold 62hd Strs last Monday, Avg Weight 600lbs. Brought 1.93. wishing I had another 100 hd to go with them. With what's going on in the world today, i don't think prices will hold IMHO.

Bought males today - - mostly bulls. They averaged 363# for U$S 207. Plan to put them on baleage for a while.
What type of baleage and what gains do you expect? I have mostly wheat with some clover baleage that was put up right that I'm planning on using for calves too. I'll keep a fescue bale out for some roughage, don't know if the baleage will make them loose.

After watching a million sheep and two hundred thousand goats sell
Do they sell choice on those groups? A farmer I know went 3.5 hrs away to a sale barn in South West IA. for a red Angus dispersal. This barn also sells sheep & goats first.
He said they ran in 200 goat kids. The auctioneer did his thing, and after he said SOLD. He looked up into the crowd at a couple Amish kids and said " okay, come down and pick out the ones you want " he said the kids each picked out one and carried it back to the stands. He also said they did that two more times before they sold the group! Makes for a long day at a sale.

Do they sell choice on those groups? A farmer I know went 3.5 hrs away to a sale barn in South West IA. for a red Angus dispersal. This barn also sells sheep & goats first.
He said they ran in 200 goat kids. The auctioneer did his thing, and after he said SOLD. He looked up into the crowd at a couple Amish kids and said " okay, come down and pick out the ones you want " he said the kids each picked out one and carried it back to the stands. He also said they did that two more times before they sold the group! Makes for a long day at a sale.
No they didn't sell choice. Sold as many as 36 goats in a shot. I think 50 was the single largest group of lambs. Hardly any singles. It still took 2 hours to get to the cattle. I thought I left plenty late but not late enough. On the last Thurday of the month I should just plan on going a couple hours later or not going at all.

What type of baleage and what gains do you expect? I have mostly wheat with some clover baleage that was put up right that I'm planning on using for calves too. I'll keep a fescue bale out for some roughage, don't know if the baleage will make them loose.
My baleage is an annual mix that is mostly Jap millet.
I have not tested it yet. I hope the TDN comes out close to corn silage.
I will supplement it with a little custom grain blend that contains minerals and Bovatec.
ADG is interesting. To low and you cannot pay the overhead. Too high and they get discounted for being fleshy.
I think I will resell these and buy back another group of light calves to take to grass. Grass calf ADG target is usually below 2 pounds per day.

Last edited:
The talking heads have become bearish on beef. Recession fears, drought destocking, dollar denominated exports, and high corn prices are all current concerns. They are still projecting great prices in 2 years. That has been the longer term forecast since 2000...

On a positive note - - it looks like my LRP insurance will pay off.

Last edited:

Latest posts