Off Farm Income

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018":31zx97mt said:
[
I am sorry but I can't see how any one person is worth that in that type of position. I understand that some people that have created a business make good money but these guys did not create anything. Just hard to believe that someone is making 4-5 times what most Americans make in one year in one day. :help:

The problem is that we've gotten so scared of criticizing this sort of thing--one gets tarred with that nasty word "communist" if one dares to suggest that the working stiff needs to be able to survive too, and that there is no reason for those jokers to make that kind of $.

I hope that at some point the meme of the "US versus the godless Commies" will cease having an outsize role in our collective definition of "who we are", such that we can admit that unfettered capitalism ain't any better than unfettered communism.

hurleyjd":20p604sm said:
Clodhopper":20p604sm said:
boondocks":20p604sm said:
Sometimes the rancher is a wife. And sometimes she also has a job in town. ;-)
And sometimes she is working her a___ off not for fancy vehicles, but for trucks and equipment and hay and (all of the things you note up top---kids, cows, ridiculous property taxes, etc). Oh and don't forget the main reason most families need at least one person with an off-farm job: health insurance.
:tiphat:
The cost of the Blue Cross Blue Shield policy on my daughters and myself is set to more than double in 2017. I'll leave it at that.

Double digit increases may be as high as 38 percent not really decided yet. Reason more people with health care insurance and using it.
The federal health law requires insurers to spend 80 to 85 percent of premiums on medical claims and other health-related expenses, limiting the amount of money that can go toward salaries or other non-medical expenses.
Edit: The amount I am set to pay will double. The total will be up the max of 38%.

tom4018":18xg1ylf said:
True Grit Farms":18xg1ylf said:
JMJ Farms":18xg1ylf said:
$254k per day? That's absurd. I can't even fathom that.

And where's the problem in health care? I can't see eye to eye with folks like that. And I bet they vote different than me also.

I am sorry but I can't see how any one person is worth that in that type of position. I understand that some people that have created a business make good money but these guys did not create anything. Just hard to believe that someone is making 4-5 times what most Americans make in one year in one day. :help:
Would you rather pay it to an athlete that can hardly write his name or complete a full sentence, has no skills whatsoever except he can run and play with a ball and only does that about 3 months out of the year.

TexasBred":1xhvbosb said:
Would you rather pay it to an athlete that can hardly write his name or complete a full sentence, has no skills whatsoever except he can run and play with a ball and only does that about 3 months out of the year.

I don't care to fund any athlete especially the trash in the NFL and NBA that is causing all the societal riffs. Until the media monopoly is dealt with we will continue to have over $30/month added to our cable bills to pay for them. This offends me but soon I hope to be able to remedy this situation myself.

TexasBred":zalxo1ki said:
tom4018":zalxo1ki said:
True Grit Farms":zalxo1ki said:
And where's the problem in health care? I can't see eye to eye with folks like that. And I bet they vote different than me also.

TB, the truth is they now have to "play" about ten months out of the year, because their salary is so high they need more time to get the money in.

A great friend told me a story told him by a friend of his.

They're both in their 60s and single. The second guy tells me friend, "You know, my dream woman is an only child, has long fluffy hair, a good job at the court house, has recently buried her mom, her dad is on his death bed, and she's set to inherit a 500ac spread with good facilities."

My friend says, "No wonder you're still single!"

...the part of the story that always cracks me up is the but about the long, fluffy hair!

TexasBred":2ogcpke9 said:
tom4018":2ogcpke9 said:
True Grit Farms":2ogcpke9 said:

I can choose to not support an athlete or his team and not be penalized. If I choose not to have health insurance that's overpriced bc a CEO is making $245k a day, I have to pay a penalty. And there's a real good chance that the healt insurance company is receiving some form of a government subsidy that is funded from taxpayer dollars. To the best of my knowledge athletes and sports teams dot receive government subsidies. You usually do pretty good at playing the devils advocate TB, but I think youre off in left field on this comparison.

JMJ Farms":gepnipn9 said:
TexasBred":gepnipn9 said:
tom4018":gepnipn9 said:

I can choose to not support an athlete or his team and not be penalized. If I choose not to have health insurance that's overpriced bc a CEO is making $245k a day, I have to pay a penalty. And there's a real good chance that the healt insurance company is receiving some form of a government subsidy that is funded from taxpayer dollars. To the best of my knowledge athletes and sports teams dot receive government subsidies. You usually do pretty good at playing the devils advocate TB, but I think youre off in left field on this comparison.

I'm done with the NFL and NBA, I will never watch another game of either sport.

JMJ Farms":35u6mnps said:
To the best of my knowledge athletes and sports teams dot receive government subsidies. .
Oh I wouldn't say that either.......I'm not sure of a team that owns or paid for the stadiums the play in. Taxpayer $ playes a major roll in building them.

Latest posts