Dimmitt Tx Dairy Farm Explosion

Help Support CattleToday:

That's a lot of assumptions considering we don't know very much at this point. I saw on another forum a text message exchange from a person who works in the sheriff's office that apparently a tractor caught on fire, the employee left the tractor to call 911 and when he returned the flames were on the ceiling which ignited the methane gas line. But I still consider that hearsay until the investigation is complete.

In my mind, it is a miracle that only one employee was injured.

My bad, I thought your info was credible.

Is it me or does it look like it was not "contained" to one barn? Or maybe a really big barn 🤔🤔🤔
View attachment 28867
I believe when the guy built that dairy a couple years ago they said 65 acres under roof. I understood the main barn that burned was about 50 acres. That's alot under one roof. It will be interesting if we ever hear the final report. But I'd bet most of us forget about it before that comes out.

I believe when the guy built that dairy a couple years ago they said 65 acres under roof. I understood the main barn that burned was about 50 acres. That's alot under one roof. It will be interesting if we ever hear the final report. But I'd bet most of us forget about it before that comes out.
Do you really think we will ever be told the real story?

Methane isn't as concerning LONG TERM as they want to make it out to be. Doesn't change the fact that it is a flammable gas that should be concerning when concentrated (manure pits, sewer systems, etc.)
Livestock, Methane, and Misinformation
indeed sir...the immediate danger of concentrations of methane being accumulated in structures is more concerning by far than any long term atmospheric effect

Google told me there are 9.4 million dairy cows in the US. So 18,000 cows is .19% of the heard. I wouldn't think that's enough to mess with the price too much unless they use the story as a reason to raise the price. But from a fundamental economics perspective I don't see how that small amount would affect the supply.
However marketing is more than just supply and demand.

Google told me there are 9.4 million dairy cows in the US. So 18,000 cows is .19% of the heard. I wouldn't think that's enough to mess with the price too much unless they use the story as a reason to raise the price. But from a fundamental economics perspective I don't see how that small amount would affect the supply.
However marketing is more than just supply and demand.
It won't make an impact nationally, but it could make a small wave regionally, depending on where that milk was going. If it's being processed for powder, nobody will notice. If was all being bottled and sold for fluid consumption, there could be a little bit of a bump in price locally. Fluid milk doesn't travel efficiently.

I do not think it will make that big of an impact nationally in the overall milk supply; but as @Buck Randall says, may make a bit of a difference locally. HOWEVER... the effects of the loss of the dairy will be felt more in the economy there... restaurants, convenience stores, gas stations, grocery stores, stores that are habitually shopped by the employees on a daily/weekly basis. If the dairy doesn't rebuild/repair, the help will have to go elsewhere for jobs and it will change the dynamics of that small town.... people moving, loss of money spent there locally....

Has there been an update on the condition of the woman employee that got hurt?

I do not think it will make that big of an impact nationally in the overall milk supply; but as @Buck Randall says, may make a bit of a difference locally. HOWEVER... the effects of the loss of the dairy will be felt more in the economy there... restaurants, convenience stores, gas stations, grocery stores, stores that are habitually shopped by the employees on a daily/weekly basis. If the dairy doesn't rebuild/repair, the help will have to go elsewhere for jobs and it will change the dynamics of that small town.... people moving, loss of money spent there locally....

Has there been an update on the condition of the woman employee that got hurt?
I bet he re builds somewhere. He's not the type to back up if he can keep growing.

Latest posts