Lick Wheel Liquid Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Isn't the real advantage to the tubs, just the shear fact that you don't have the time consumed in bringing them cake? Not sure but if you put a pencil to it I think it is cheaper to feed cubes(cake). I feed lick tanks, just because of the amount of time I have available and I can't get cake to them everyday.

SmokinM":26nxjf5r said:
Consumption is based on an annual cycle. Leave it out free choice 12mths a year and bet the rate is pretty close to dead on same as minerals. Sometimes they eat a like crazy sometimes they walk right by but you have to stick with it to see those results. They have been missing out on it so when you first start it they do hit it hard. After they balance themselves it slows way down. I have had a tank last two weeks and had a tank last over 2 months, same group of cows same feed.

4 oz a day you're saying???

LimoX":23h28f4t said:
Isn't the real advantage to the tubs, just the shear fact that you don't have the time consumed in bringing them cake? Not sure but if you put a pencil to it I think it is cheaper to feed cubes(cake). I feed lick tanks, just because of the amount of time I have available and I can't get cake to them everyday.
Very true tubs and lick tanks have the "convenience" factor built in and depending on the brand are excellent products especially if you're cattle really need the supplementation but your schedule just doesn't allow you time to manually do it everyday.

TexasBred":p7rizfue said:
SmokinM":p7rizfue said:
Consumption is based on an annual cycle. Leave it out free choice 12mths a year and bet the rate is pretty close to dead on same as minerals. Sometimes they eat a like crazy sometimes they walk right by but you have to stick with it to see those results. They have been missing out on it so when you first start it they do hit it hard. After they balance themselves it slows way down. I have had a tank last two weeks and had a tank last over 2 months, same group of cows same feed.

4 oz a day you're saying???

No I think the liquid feed most say to figure 1.5-2 lbs. a day. Sorry I wrote that kind of confusing. My point was to figure your numbers is to take that rate time 365 to figure what it costs you to feed. Minerals at 4oz. a day on what I feed (wind & rain)is pretty much dead on, but they eat none some days and a lot other days but the average is correct. My experience with liquid feed is similar.

Clear as mud right?

I have seen a lot of guys that don't use minerals put them out, all they hear is 4 oz. a day, 20 cows eat a bag in 24 hrs. They go darn 4oz. a day my azz and quit feeding it but don't get their cows are deficient in something obviously. Just say hell I can't afford to feed that. If they stuck with it the cows catch up and slow way down. Same is true on the liquid feed. Tubs in my experience don't show it as bad because if they are the cooked hard ones they physically can't eat as much. It's like trying to eat 100 lollipops in a day you just get tired of licking. All that being said you do pay a premium for the convenience of liquid feed and depending on your setup can replace that nutrition cheaper.

xbredcattle":20vapiab said:
Does anyone utilize liquid feed through the winter as a substitute for rye grass?
If so, what luck have you had with it - advantage/disadvantages

Used to be widely used to supplement dairy cows via lick tank, but they found they could not afford it.

Some folks pour liquid on low quality hay bales to get beef cows to eat it. Easier n cheaper n cleaner to shake on 5 gallons of grain. Home raised oats works particularly well since it tends to slip and slid down into the hay.

I know of no advantage from liquid feed :nod: unless you want to blend it in to reduce dust in a grain mix.

It would work in a TMR and more especially in dairy rations. But there are higher quality sources of protein and energy available.

skyhightree1":2qp650g3 said:
TexasBred":2qp650g3 said:
xbredcattle":2qp650g3 said:
Thanks - I'm unable to plant ryegrass on this new lease property

All my cows calve in November. I'll have plenty of quality hay but want additional protein source - think I'll go with the liquid feed !!!
I'm assuming you'll have plenty of hay instead of the good nutritious rye grass. If so it should work fine for you. Put out one lick tank for every 25 cows and they should be fine. Most around here use the larger tanks (250 gallons I think) and each has 4 lick wheels. Move them everytime they get empty or you'll end up with the ground wallowed out around them and holding water and muck.

Exactly... However, I have been thinking of installing concrete feeding pads in a feeding area so that way I wont have to keep fixing pastures year after year you just have to make it big enough for them to stand completely on.

I made a pad out of crushed limestone and I feed my hay and have my syrup tank on it no problem

Latest posts