Feed mixer

Help Support CattleToday:

scvfd_7241

Reaction score
Looking to see if anyone has ever used a 60hp tractor or under to pull a feeder mixer what mixer was it, and what was your experience.

Grinder mixer would do fine but even the smallest vertical would be pushing it on a small tractor. A vertical doesn't take much power to mix but they're heavy and would shove around a small tractor quite a bit.

This is one the neighbor had. It is not a very big vertical mixer. You will note that the tractor is a lot bigger than 60 hp. Let off the throttle even on
a slight down hill and it would try to pass you.

.PC031730.JPG

A vertical doesn't take much power to mix
A single screw can make a 4020 sit up and beg depending on how tight the bales are you throw in it. Just mixing doesn't take much, but grinding hay does.

Still not sure which type of mixer the OP is asking about.
We've got a 3020 at work that has been married to a Gehl 125 grinder/mixer since before I was born. It's probably ground a 100,000 plus tons of feed.

A single screw can make a 4020 sit up and beg depending on how tight the bales are you throw in it. Just mixing doesn't take much, but grinding hay does.

Still not sure which type of mixer the OP is asking about.
We've got a 3020 at work that has been married to a Gehl 125 grinder/mixer since before I was born. It's probably ground a 100,000 plus tons of feed.

Yep, depends on the forage. Pre-ground hay and wet or dry grain is not hard to process. Chopped silage generally mixes and feeds really well.

Baleage and dry hay are tough. I've had people tell me that these are great for grinding hay, but that has never been my experience. Takes a good while to get a consistent grind and it makes a big mess in the process. Broke many a shear bolt with a load full of baleage.

Ours is 350 cu ft, not many mixers smaller than that. Smallest tractor I've used on it is 100hp (MFWD) and I wouldn't want one any smaller.

This is one the neighbor had. It is not a very big vertical mixer. You will note that the tractor is a lot bigger than 60 hp. Let off the throttle even on
a slight down hill and it would try to pass you.

.View attachment 37163
69C7C4E2-636A-419F-A2F3-3ADEB1574008.jpeg
All flat ground in the barnyards. 95hp. This is the backup tractor. The 7230 with a cab and MFWD has the low ranges out of the tranny. Hope it gets fixed soon, gonna be a cool ride between farms pretty soon.

I was specifically looking at the jaylor mini mixers. I'm currently doing a half load of steers at a time but want to do 1 maybe 2 full load at a time eventually. I already have the tractor and am looking at something to go with it. I currently feed a gluten, corn/ barley mix, Gin trash, and some hay mix that a friend puts into silage wagon for me.

I was specifically looking at the jaylor mini mixers. I'm currently doing a half load of steers at a time but want to do 1 maybe 2 full load at a time eventually. I already have the tractor and am looking at something to go with it. I currently feed a gluten, corn/ barley mix, Gin trash, and some hay mix that a friend puts into silage wagon for me.
I have a Kuhn Little Auggie TMR that does a great job on little batches. It doesn't grind roughage just mixes. So no hay. You could probably run it with 50hp if you didn't try starting it full

Latest posts