Hoover Dam laid to rest

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
Hoover Angus Farm:

Tonight we pay tribute to Hoover Dam, as he was laid to rest today at ORIgen. Hoover Dam was 11 1/2 years of age, and spent most of his life at ORIgen, where he was the #1 all-time semen sales bull as well as the #1 semen production bull. Hoover Dam's influence has been felt on at least four continents, as well as widespread in the U.S. Roughly one quarter million units of his semen have been sold.
Hoover Dam was bred, born, and raised at Hoover Angus, as was his dam. This Erica cow family at Hoover Angus has put a total of 8 bulls in the following AI studs: ORIgen, Alta Genetics, Select Sires, ABS, Accelerated Genetics, and CRV-USA.
Hoover Dam's hallmark traits were producing superior uddered, highly productive females, improving dispositions, and having an optimum combination of calving ease, muscle, and carcass qualities.

Dixie2542 said:
Nooo. Where did you get that news?

I really hate to hear this because I used him a year ago and we love his offspring. Would love to have more. Very sorry to hear this...

Hoover Facebook page. I would buy some straws now if I was you. We have five of his straws still, wouldn't mind having a little more but we are way overstocked to begin with

If that semen becomes very difficult to get, we've been extremely happy with one of his sons "Hoover Dam 2509", same bull that brought the dam of Poss Maverick. I have a pic of one of his daughters on our FB page. One of the more consistent sire groups on the ground this year and he's worked well on our PB and commercial cattle.

I saw this and got a 100 straw order in. Wanted more, but hated to spend any more. I bet his inventory dries up pretty fast once the word gets out.

T & B farms said:
NEFarmwife said:
T & B farms said:
I saw this and got a 100 straw order in. Wanted more, but hated to spend any more. I bet his inventory dries up pretty fast once the word gets out.

I am so tempted.

24$ with the 100 straw discount
Considering calling Bull Barn and driving up to get it. I personally wouldn't need that much but it doesn't mean our clients wouldn't and I'd have no problem recommending him.

NEFarmwife said:
T & B farms said:
NEFarmwife said:
I am so tempted.

24$ with the 100 straw discount
Considering calling Bull Barn and driving up to get it. I personally wouldn't need that much but it doesn't mean our clients wouldn't and I'd have no problem recommending him.

Price checked... bought thru Cattle Visions $26/straw and 2 day FedEx $75.

Had called my semen guy who already said he was wiped out of his inventory.

NEFarmwife said:
T & B farms said:
I ordered through abs

Cattle Visions just called me. They didn't have enough to fulfill my order. Took what they could send. And ordered some other on a whim, to balance out the credit. My husbands gonna kill me.

I bet he's going to be happy you took action. I think it was a prudent move.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
NEFarmwife said:
T & B farms said:
I ordered through abs

Cattle Visions just called me. They didn't have enough to fulfill my order. Took what they could send. And ordered some other on a whim, to balance out the credit. My husbands gonna kill me.

I bet he's going to be happy you took action. I think it was a prudent move.
I'm thinking, what he doesn't know, won't hurt him. I ordered Musgrave Big Sky also. I was going to get a few straws next year but I guess if I'm paying for shipping, might as well do it now.

torogmc81,
Thank you for posting this on the board. I took your advice and ordered some through my rep today... hopefully they placed an order today bc seems like he's selling quick..

also found out today that musgrave aviator also passed away yesterday. Sad day for ai bulls.

We are using a grandson of his. IMO Hoover Dam and Final Answer are 2 sires that have helped the Angus breed. Both bring a lot of consistency to the table.

Dixie2542 said:
torogmc81,
Thank you for posting this on the board. I took your advice and ordered some through my rep today... hopefully they placed an order today bc seems like he's selling quick..

also found out today that musgrave aviator also passed away yesterday. Sad day for ai bulls.
Wow, two of the best at ORIgen

We picked up 50 straws at ABS for $30/straw. We used him this year on part of our heifers and will again with these straws. FYI.

Latest posts