Will a bull be able to change post thaw quality

Help Support CattleToday:

Amo

Reaction score
Chambers, NE (125 miles W. of Souix City IA or 110
So I bought seamen on a bull that was custom collected. A major stud leased the bull as a yearling. They released the bull back to the owner as well as the inferior semen. Why they didn't destroy the old stuff I'm not sure. I was unaware of the last couple of sentences until couple of weeks ago.

Owner of the bull says he is settling cows with great conception rates. They are using him in et. I got 33% with this bull, 100% and 66% with 2 others.....4 of 12, 2 of 2, and 4 of 6 head bred. Took a straw to a bull stud to get analyzed. It was junk, and the codes on the straw was from the major bull stud that couldn't get quality semen post thaw. Total mobility 45%. Progressive motility 28%, with fast progressive motility only 4%. Bull owner says the "fresh" stuff is excellent. Talked to his hired man a few weeks prior to the conversation with the owner and he said they're using him ET. Custom collection facility supposedly has lower standards than major bull studs. Ya, if you own the semen you have $2 a straw invested, so they could use more than just one straw, but the owner says they're not.

So that's the background, on to the question. I've heard bulls that were having trouble being collected, then start producing again. Always assumed it was a volume problem, not quality problem. I've had a couple of people say that if a bull wasn't able to have quality semen post thaw, that he never will because it's a genetic issue. The bull stud bought this bull in march and the stuff I got was collected in November. If it truly is a genetic issue, one collection should have proven that. Rep privately told me they tried to collect him for a year or so. So I guess my question is, if he was/is genetically not able to freeze quality semen is that something that he can come out of, or is the collection place have lower standards and I'd just be getting the same junk.

Called the bull owner the other night. He was going to thaw out some of what he had and get back to me. His sale is tomorrow and they were going to test bulls afterwards. I'm kinda up in the air on this. Spent $1200 on straws ($40 a straw), labor, drugs, missed first cycle. I figure I'm out 15-1500$ even though he settled 4 cows. I could use another bull and kinda had one found. It's a no sale from a place I bought my bull this year. Not a bad no sale, but still a no sale. The semen seller offered me 10 straws to replace the problem. I could ask for my money back, but that's probably the slimmest chance of happening. Get $1800 of "fresh" straws and hope it's good, or hit him up for a sale credit tomorrow. My no sale bull would be $2750. A bull purchase after the credit would probably be more than the $2750. I've been thinking way to much about this, but guess looking for some insight from the professionals!

There are a lot of good AI bulls available - what's so special about this seemingly risky sire?
Oh, I guess I like his numbers and his pedigree. The people that have sold sons of the bull, they have sold really well. You'd most likely recognize the bull, but he hasn't been used a lot which contradicts my previous statement. He's also not a heifer bull, which is what helps move a bull. BW 2.4 and CED is -1. He has awesome performance and carcass numbers with only -17 $EN. He checked a lot of the boxes I look at. Like I said he's not what some would consider "calving ease", but a cow doesn't need a heifer bull.

So like I said, did his BW scare everyone away, or did word get out his semen quality was marginal at best and people didn't want to roll the dice?

I can't answer that specific question, my best guess would be probably not.
I gave up on AI and consider it a waste of time money and effort, unless you have a reliable source for semen and can do the breeding yourself or have someone who can that is able and willing to breed on observed heats.
Years ago we used to get around 90% conception rates with two rounds of Lutalyse and watching for for heat and breeding 12 hours later.
When we started having to do timed AI protocol (TAI). The best conception rates we got were 60%, all way down to 0%.
I started suspecting semen quality in a few cases in addition to the fact that quite a few were not in the optimal time frame for breeding.
The time we got 60% for one bull, we got 20% for another bull. That 20% bull was from the same major company as the other, but just happened to be the hottest bull on the market at the time and the tech had to do sone checking around to "find" it. Was there an issue with it in some way? I certainly suspect so.
The time we got 0% conception, we went through another well known company and a different person AI'ing. The semen that time that we were looking for was from another hottest bull on the market at the time. The semen rep first said he didn't have any available but he would check around. He called back and said that he found 5 straws ( we were wanting 10) but said the only way he could get those 5 straws is if we took 5 more of an up and coming son too.
We did and had 0% conception from either bull. I will always believe that there was a semen quality issue maybe even with storage or handling before we got it, as the son went on to be a heavily used ai sire as well.

To your original question -- go look up the history of an angus bull called GB Fireball 672 -- not sure if there is much on cattle today -- but there is a FB page that should have some information.

So I guess my question is, if he was/is genetically not able to freeze quality semen is that something that he can come out of, or is the collection place have lower standards and I'd just be getting the same junk.
I worked for a bull stud years ago. My one experience was with a Brown Swiss bull with a genetic problem in frozen semen.
The problem was he produced quality semen, but it would not adequately survive the thawing process shedding tails and the outer membrane resulting in below 50% conception rates. So my answer is No he won't come out of it.
We continued to sell his semen, but explicitly told customers he had low conception rates.
I'd go with a different bull.

Last edited:
To your original question -- go look up the history of an angus bull called GB Fireball 672 -- not sure if there is much on cattle today -- but there is a FB page that should have some information.
AAA# 18690054 - GB Fireball 672

Not from this collection. What I'm questioning is weather to take replacement from the "fresh" collection or ask for a sale credit/cash refund.
With me I would not be comfortable using him from any collection. I am sure it would be OK but once I lose confidence that's it I move on.

Ken

Instead of over thinking just dump what's left. Bull is a dud. He is costing you money by not settling cows.

Lots of other options out there. Take the credit and get something that can breed your cows

Instead of over thinking just dump what's left. Bull is a dud. He is costing you money by not settling cows.

Lots of other options out there. Take the credit and get something that can breed your cows
Well credit hasn't even been offered to me yet, and not sure if he'll off a cash settlement. That's why I was considering a sale credit, but I decided to skip the sale. I agree what's currently in the tank is junk.

Did Select Sires ever ship/sell semen on him? Or just collect and return all to the owner due to test results? Looks like he was collected at Select (07) as well as Rocky Mountain (59). And looks like the private distributor in Nebraska is selling semen on him from a 2022 collection.

All strange. Sons and grandsons selling today.

Latest posts