Hereford cattle x Black Angus bull

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75

Reaction score
I bought some hereford cattle off my old neighbor as I know they are excellent cows.

I've had one calve. black angus bull is the daddy.

It's all black and has some ear.

My question.. Will all these hereford / angus calves produce larger ear calves or will they sell good ?

I'm no genetic expert. But I have bred several of these a year for the past several. My Herefords are my only purebreds.
Bred to a homo black Angus bull ive never got anything but a baldie or mottle faced calf. Shouldn't be any more than normal ear.

well I've only had one calf so far and the ears looked a little large. He's a little older now I need to go check him out and see what he looks like. I'm doing so good with my calves i'm worried i'm going to screw it up. haha

No he's a angus bull for sure i've had him 6 years.

The only time I get a BWF calf is if the mom is a baldie.

talltimber":24pmyfls said:
That is an odd question coming from you ddd? Most posts of yours makes it sound like you got it figured out.
far from figured out. trying to share what I do have figured out :)

I did'nt think any ear would be a problem at all .. but I got this calf and it just made me wonder. I think he was just a bigger calf then I'm used to. I had to pull that calf and I've never pulled any angus calves.

I went out and looked at all my calves and I can't tell which one is the hereford cross and which ones arn't..

boards are slow anyway :lol2:

Using an angus bull on hereford cows is the best way to utilize herefords in this area since they are "docked" like anything else that isn't black. We have several hereford cows and have never gotten any "ear" from that cross and most all the calves have some white on the face and maybe a little on the feet and or neck. But many will be black baldies. I can buy a hereford cow for $2-400. less than an equivalent black cow here, and bred angus can make money on her calf. We have gotten several red, and hereford cows over the years for just that purpose.

Latest posts