Good deal on feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
Finally got a grain bin! It's one of those cheapo Coop 5 ton units but it works.

Anyway, I got feed locally - 50%DDG 30%Soy hulls and 20%corn. Also has various mineral and some molasses. 213/ton
Sound reasonable? This is for preconditioning calves with mediocre hay fed at 1% body weight/day

shaz":1fhyxbgl said:
Finally got a grain bin! It's one of those cheapo Coop 5 ton units but it works.

Anyway, I got feed locally - 50%DDG 30%Soy hulls and 20%corn. Also has various mineral and some molasses. 213/ton
Sound reasonable? This is for preconditioning calves with mediocre hay fed at 1% body weight/day

Bulk delivered? ....sounds like a steal to me.

its not a amazing price but they are not ripping you off.

ddd75":1f4vqhac said:
its not a amazing price but they are not ripping you off.
I'm not familiar with the Middle Tennessee feed market but for my area it would be considered "amazing" especially when you have three top of the line ingredients making up the mix and no junk added.

They said the soy hulls (pellet) were a little high so I cut the cost by replacing 20% of the soy hulls with corn. It's supposed to be 17%CP 5% fat 14% fiber.

Good mix for what I'm doing?

shaz":2wzvakie said:
They said the soy hulls (pellet) were a little high so I cut the cost by replacing 20% of the soy hulls with corn. It's supposed to be 17%CP 5% fat 14% fiber.

Good mix for what I'm doing?
I had figured the crude protein at 13% and replacing some of the hulls with corn will lower it a bit more. But if they guarantee it at 17% sounds good especially if you're feeding smaller calves. Good protein, good fiber level, good energy level and highly digestible. Good deal. :nod:

Good lord, if someone had feed anywhere close to that price around here I'd be all over it. Only thing I can get that cheap is WCS and I had to buy a big truck load to get that price ($180/ton)

shaz":1fmov2p1 said:

Sounds fair to me. I would feed them 2% of body weight to lower cost of gain

Sounds good and it's delivered. We pay 220 per ton and have to haul ourselves.

RanchMan90":2k7x1aor said:
shaz":2k7x1aor said:

How does that lower cost of gain? I'm at 213/ton for feed and around 60ton for hay. What am I missing? Only looking for 1.5bs/day anyway - these are heifers.

shaz":3o3alx4d said:
RanchMan90":3o3alx4d said:
shaz":3o3alx4d said:

How does that lower cost of gain? I'm at 213/ton for feed and around 60ton for hay. What am I missing? Only looking for 1.5bs/day anyway - these are heifers.
If they're replacement heifers they don't need pushed that hard. That's the percentage feedlots use. If it was cheaper or more efficient to feed them less they would be doing so. Really depends what your goals are.