Getting A .38

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":2b8k2buh said:
hillsdown":2b8k2buh said:
I carry the Rebel xsi that I use to "shoot" with, it cannot be concealed though, is quite heavy and cumbersome and does not fit in my purse. :p ;-) Also one would look very funny if they carried the way CF does his.. :lol2:

Probably make ya walk kinda funny too. :lol: :help:

BTW for us Americans what is a Rebel xsi

It is my camera 3way.. ;-)

3waycross":11ubhkci said:
I can't speak for eveyone here but that was sure a lot more info than I needed. :shock:

So does this mean you're not interested in a visual aid? :lol2:

ilh - I'd rather have it go off when shoved down the back of my pants than the front!

cfpinz":3v8mr1cm said:
3waycross":3v8mr1cm said:
I can't speak for eveyone here but that was sure a lot more info than I needed. :shock:

ilh - I'd rather have it go off when shoved down the back of my pants than the front!

Where do you keep it when you wear your grass skirt ? :shock:

I luv herfrds":imrw7oqy said:
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Only thing I could think of was explaining how you came to shooting yourself in the butt.

Also carrying a loaded weapon on a 911 call you do not know what is going on and there is a chance of that person taking your gun away from you and shooting you with it.

I guess I'd rather let somebody try and take it away from me because I have one than be in a situation where they already have a weapon (gun, knife, club etc.) and I have nothing but a cell phone and policeman 10 minutes away.

Carry concealed and don't draw it unless you are really gonna use it.

hillsdown":2es05jyz said:
cfpinz":2es05jyz said:
3waycross":2es05jyz said:

Where do you keep it when you wear your grass skirt ? :shock:

Under my lay! :lol:

You can bob the hammer on a SP101 but there can be aproblem with failure to fire if the primers are to hard. Remember that any hammerless revolver is going to be double action only so you need to insure that the trigger pull is something you can deal with. For vulture (lawyer) proof a DOA revolver is probably a better idea then a conventional single.double action type.

HOSS":3lilzlz5 said:
I have a S&W Model 19 in .357 Magnum. I load it with .38's for my wife to shoot. It sure is nice to have that option. It really makes one gun like 2.

Yep- model 19 in 2 1/2 inch barrel is hard to beat...For overall daily carry that is what I pack- and did for years in law enforcement..So nice that you can use the 38's for plinking or practice...
I think if I was advising someone that wanted one for self defense- that could pack it in a purse- I'd advise the Judge...Shoot either 410 shot or the new buckshot loads they make for it (wicked self defense round- like hitting them with 4 .35 caliber bullets) or 45 Long Colt..

But a little hammerless 38 S&W loaded up with Plus P's will do the job- and much better than nothing...

I luv herefords-- everyone in the family has a concealed carry permit-- and the wife is a wicked shot with a pistol..For target, hunting, and general use she has a model 66 S & W .357- but for concealed carry she has a model 60 S&W 38 that I have loaded up with Gold Dot Plus P's...

pdfangus":1e3enekt said:
drycreek":1e3enekt said:
The military quit using the 38 years ago and went to the 45 because that 38 will not stop a man from doing you harm. Yes you can kill with a 22, but you can also kill a man with the right blow with your hand. Everone talks about kick and recoil if you pratice enough you will never feel it. Prime example my wife who is 5' 2" and weighs 127 lbs uses a 44 mag with a 8 inch barrel around home and carries a 44 mag with a 3 inch barrel concealed. Personaly I don't like automatics for defense they seem to fail when you need them the most. JMO

I agree with most of what you say. the Army adopted the 45 during the phillipine insurection near the beginning of the 20th century.

I am a single action revolver man myself. do have one double action.

only switched to the 9mm because of the arthritis. It is the only auto that I own except for a remington 1100 shotgun.

The Baretta M9 and newer variations is also now the official pistol used by the US Military.

TexasBred":29pxoj28 said:
pdfangus":29pxoj28 said:
drycreek":29pxoj28 said:
The military quit using the 38 years ago and went to the 45 because that 38 will not stop a man from doing you harm. Yes you can kill with a 22, but you can also kill a man with the right blow with your hand. Everone talks about kick and recoil if you pratice enough you will never feel it. Prime example my wife who is 5' 2" and weighs 127 lbs uses a 44 mag with a 8 inch barrel around home and carries a 44 mag with a 3 inch barrel concealed. Personaly I don't like automatics for defense they seem to fail when you need them the most. JMO

I agree with most of what you say. the Army adopted the 45 during the phillipine insurection near the beginning of the 20th century.

I am a single action revolver man myself. do have one double action.

only switched to the 9mm because of the arthritis. It is the only auto that I own except for a remington 1100 shotgun.

The Baretta M9 and newer variations is also now the official pistol used by the US Military.

And many of our troops serving in Iraq/Afghanistan(especially Special Forces) are throwing them in the closet and packing 45s again because the 9's don't have the stopping power.
Ironically the military has also uncrated boxs of M-14's and reissued them for the same reason and to get more penetration and range from the 7.62 caliber.

Calman":1mjmu15p said:
Wife has a 38sp S&W loaded with wad cutters.Short barrel.

Cal

Cal there's nothing wrong with the S&W I just think the Ruger has a heavier frame. Either way the 38 is a very good choice for the ladies.

Calman":3rc3takl said:

Cal

my wife has a little 38 similarly loaded and i always make sure I can see her hands before I get too uppity with her.

pdfangus":mqxt7kc8 said:
Calman":mqxt7kc8 said:

Cal

my wife has a little 38 similarly loaded and i always make sure I can see her hands before I get too uppity with her.

Not a bad idea but keep in mind , she can hurt you a lot worse with the phone number for a good lawyer than she can with that pea shooter.

And many of our troops serving in Iraq/Afghanistan(especially Special Forces) are throwing them in the closet and packing 45s again because the 9's don't have the stopping power.
Ironically the military has also uncrated boxs of M-14's and reissued them for the same reason and to get more penetration and range from the 7.62 caliber.[/quote]

Why not just pick up an AK from the dead enemy....at least ammo would be available...wonder where they get their 45 ACP ammo when they throw away the 9mm?? I know the 45 has more stopping power but how many folks walk away from a shot from either gun placed in the kill zones.

i have noticed that in some of the new weapons the army is going back to the 7.62 mm round.

I been a long time out but on some of the weapons show on teevee they show some of the current stuff.

new shotguns with a drum and fully automatic with no recoil and capable of firing a grenade type round with fins for pretty long distances.
shot gun rounds capable of armor peircing. that is significant stuff.

Latest posts