Ford 6.4 Diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, I've ALWAYS been a chevy guy, but bought an f250 with the 6.2 in december, and you just can't put enough behind it. I wouldn't have believed it if someone told me how it pulls, but it does, 13 best for mpg.

My buddy has a 6.4.. It took him all day to change a water pump.. On a cummins it's 2 bolts and the fan belt.. if it takes more than an hour you must have had a few brewskies along the way.
I just don't like the idea of V8's in trucks, especially today's trucks where they're cramming so much stuff under the hood.. just can't access anything anymore.. the I6 is a lot more forgiving for that

Nesikep said:
My buddy has a 6.4.. It took him all day to change a water pump.. On a cummins it's 2 bolts and the fan belt.. if it takes more than an hour you must have had a few brewskies along the way.
I just don't like the idea of V8's in trucks, especially today's trucks where they're cramming so much stuff under the hood.. just can't access anything anymore.. the I6 is a lot more forgiving for that

You ever change a serpentine belt on a 6.7 Cummins?

cfpinz said:
Nesikep said:

I have, it's tight between the idlers. If I hadn't taken a few pictures I'd of never got the belt back on.

True Grit Farms said:
cfpinz said:
Nesikep said:

I have, it's tight between the idlers. If I hadn't taken a few pictures I'd of never got the belt back on.

I did it in a parking lot after a bearing went on an idler and caused the whole issue to come off. No diagram on the radiator shroud like a normal vehicle, had to get a ride to a dealership to get a diagram printed off.
On a side note, when that happens you have no steering and no brakes. At least not enough to mention.

Nesikep said:

Water pump is easy, but the fuel filter on a 12V just about made me get a can of gas and some matches. What a boneheaded design.

Silver said:
True Grit Farms said:
cfpinz said:

I did it in a parking lot after a bearing went on an idler and caused the whole issue to come off. No diagram on the radiator shroud like a normal vehicle, had to get a ride to a dealership to get a diagram printed off.
On a side note, when that happens you have no steering and no brakes. At least not enough to mention.

That's because they're hydroboost brakes, using the power steering pressure to boost pressure instead of vacuum like the older ones.

Do you release the tensioner from above or below? I bought an extra belt for my wife's '09 6.7 but after looking under the hood I just tossed it under the rear seat and forgot about it.

cfpinz said:
Silver said:
True Grit Farms said:

That's because they're hydroboost brakes, using the power steering pressure to boost pressure instead of vacuum like the older ones.

Do you release the tensioner from above or below? I bought an extra belt for my wife's '09 6.7 but after looking under the hood I just tossed it under the rear seat and forgot about it.

Must be a ford 6.7 because a Cummins is gear driven (THAT is a GREAT idea!)

Atimm693 said:
Nesikep said:

Water pump is easy, but the fuel filter on a 12V just about made me get a can of gas and some matches. What a boneheaded design.
yeah.. what year? there are 2 different filter locations depending on the year.. first gens were on the head, which gives them an integral fuel heater for cold weather.. not very accessible.. 2nd gens was kinda mounted off the head.. still not great, they moved it back closer to the firewall.. if you have the right tool it's not too bad.. of course I didn't!
24V's went to a more accessible filter though

Nesikep said:
Atimm693 said:
Nesikep said:

yeah.. what year? there are 2 different filter locations depending on the year.. first gens were on the head, which gives them an integral fuel heater for cold weather.. not very accessible.. 2nd gens was kinda mounted off the head.. still not great, they moved it back closer to the firewall.. if you have the right tool it's not too bad.. of course I didn't!
24V's went to a more accessible filter though

Second gen. Crammed between the brake booster, firewall, and the engine. Too high to reach from the bottom, gotta have elastic arms to get it from the top.

Nesikep said:

Wrong.

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=637210&ukey_make=1062&ukey_model=15505&modelYear=2009&ukey_category=21233&ukey_driveLine=13061&ukey_trimLevel=18747

cfpinz said:
Silver said:
True Grit Farms said:

Yes, that makes sense regarding steering and braking.
I was able to get the tensioner from above. Seems like there is just barely enough room to get enough stroke with the wrench.

cfpinz said:
Nesikep said:

Wrong.

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=637210&ukey_make=1062&ukey_model=15505&modelYear=2009&ukey_category=21233&ukey_driveLine=13061&ukey_trimLevel=18747

Well they must have brought in a Ford engineer for that dumb idea!.. I don't have any experience with 6.7's, going from a gear driven system which is super reliable to a belt is just a total retard move!

Don't walk away from a 6.0 or a 6.4 but run! Slightest issue with the turbo and your pulling the cab. Get a 6.7, I have had good luck with them in cummins and powerstroke.

Nesikep said:
cfpinz said:
Silver said:

Until you need to top off the power steering fluid, or change the pump. The damn thing is crammed so far under the injection pump that you can barely see it.

If you can't tell, I really don't like working on Dodges. I guess that's what happens when you cram a tractor engine in a pickup. Same deal with Fords, except that's a school bus motor.

Change spark plugs in a Ford:
Step 1, remove cab
Step 2, remove heads because the spark plugs broke off and you can't get the stubs out
Step 3, send to the wreckers.

I always get a kick out of the Dodge guys! What is made by Dodge in a 3500? Not the engine, that's Cummins, not the transmission you can actually pull with, that's Aisin, not the rear ends, that's AAM..... on and on it goes! :lol2:
I have to say, while I couldn't get rid of my '10 6.7 3500 fast enough, I do have an old 2003 with a 5.9 in it that is actually a pretty good old farm truck. Although next time the exhaust manifold cracks I'm getting an aftermarket 3 piece manifold.

Silver said:
I always get a kick out of the Dodge guys! What is made by Dodge in a 3500? Not the engine, that's Cummins, not the transmission you can actually pull with, that's Aisin, not the rear ends, that's AAM..... on and on it goes! :lol2:
I have to say, while I couldn't get rid of my '10 6.7 3500 fast enough, I do have an old 2003 with a 5.9 in it that is actually a pretty good old farm truck. Although next time the exhaust manifold cracks I'm getting an aftermarket 3 piece manifold.

that's why they're better!.. I certainly don't drive them because of the chrysler parts!

I've never had an issue with manifolds cracking.. mine see plenty of heat, truck is pushing 500some HP now

Silver said:

I've love to see Cummins pull their engines from Dodge and force Chrysler to fix the issues with their trucks. Off the top of my head, I've owned 8 F350's and 1 Dodge 3500. The Dodge cost me more per mile in maintenance to operate than any of the Fords, and it was one of the nicest trucks I've ever sprung for. I will admit that the 6.7 Cummins was my favorite engine to date for pulling trailers, and it had more torque than my new 6.7 Ford - not exactly apples/apples as the Dodge was deleted and cranked up, though.

It's pretty amusing how many of the Cummins owners are so quick to defend their engine shipping crates, and act like the engines are the beat-all, end-all. What concerns me is the number of Cummins trucks on AuctionTime, PurpleWave and other venues for sale that have had new engines installed before the 200k mile mark. Our local electric co-op has replaced a high percentage of engines in their 5500's around the 100k mile interval, and those trucks are not lacking for maintenance.

The only problem with our 2013 Ram so far has been water pumps and recalls. I had the truck serviced at 150k miles and the dealer installed a new updated water pump and addressed all the recalls. They fixed everything except the seat belt - air bag light, and it doesn't seem like they tore anything else up. This is our second Ram 3500 4x4 and we had no problems with the first one besides emissions. When my Ford 6.0 blew up for the second time I bought a 2006 Chevrolet 3500 4x4 and it was a sorry POS. One and done with GM, I sure wish Ram would give me an excuse to buy a Ford.

Latest posts