Ford 6.4 Diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

CreekAngus

Reaction score
Up here in the left hand corner (Northwest) of the country, where we have lunatics running the states, Fords with 6.4 power strokes are cheap. Getting a truck with less than 100k can be bought for around $20,000. My question is anyone have any kind of luck with these motors, getting rid of the egr's and running the deletes? And what other disasters should I expect. I'm looking for one not as a daily driver, but to go to and fro, for hay, cattle, feed store and every now and again stretch it out and a decent (400 mile) run.

Hook2.0 said:
If it was any good they would have stuck with it

I'm not so sure that's the case. Ford was planning on designing and building their own diesel for some time so International's days were numbered regardless.
My biggest complaint with the 6.4 was fuel economy, although guys that deleted them did much better. Also, they were really bad for radiator failures, although I assume that eventually there was an update. The one I drove had several rads put in.

I don't have any experience with them, but Like others have mentioned, I've heard to stay away from them. Here's a pretty good video that talks about all the models of Powerstrokes. Think he talks about the 6.4s around the 5 minute mark. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8o2LGuzl0go

I think there were a handful of good ones. They had their issues, but a large portion of the problems were caused by programmers and other mods. The were definitely one of the "faster" diesels. At least for their time. Had a lot of get up and go but would run hot in a flash.

From my limited experience with the 6.4 twin turbos they were strong on the low end and top. Like everything else the people that took care of them had good luck and the ones hotroded and abused didn't. If in good shape, lower miles, right price I would just as soon take a chance on one of those as their competitor at the time or maybe more so as they have a superior chassis, drive train IMO. Their competitor at the time have plenty of issue also, so buying compare the evils and make your decision. I watched the feedback closely on www.thedieselstop.com when they first came out and the biggest fuse was fuel mileage, but none of them are like driven a Honda Civic so what do you expect and the competitors were very little better if any.

The 6.0 did me in on Fords, and the 6.4 did my brother and dad in. They had major ELECTRICAL problems, and the radiator over heat issue. If it rained really hard his truck would just quit. In 2 1/2 years the truck spent more time in the shop than out. They ended up hiring a lawyer and won a good sized settlement from Ford. I wouldn't buy one myself, look for a 1999 - 2003 F250 - F350 7.3 powerstroke, or a 6.0 and just put new heads and bullet proof the engine. It's really easy to justify over spending for a good older diesel truck, all you need to do is look at buying a new one.

Named'em Tamed'em said:
My '05 6.0 was a dog.
Fuel rails
fan clutch
2 transmissions
Head gaskets (pull the cab)

all within 74,000 miles, done with Ford

I'm a Ford man got three F250 4x4 and one old 4x4 Ranger. My new Ford is a 1999, I can't ever see buying a new Ford truck after how bad we were treated.

I was also a Ford man. The company I was with bought 10-15 trucks a year so I got treated right when I went to buy my personal vehicle. Our salesman told me bluntly to not buy one. I went to Cummins instead. The first one was good so I am trying another.

Thank you to everyone who responded. Sounds like I will be staying away from the Fords. It amazes me they built a truck to fail, I had a 7.3 back in the day, great truck, addicted to the smell of the exhaust, ran well, never had a tranny issue or injector problems. I'm leaning towards a Ford with the 6.2 gas engine.

CreekAngus said:
Thank you to everyone who responded. Sounds like I will be staying away from the Fords. It amazes me they built a truck to fail, I had a 7.3 back in the day, great truck, addicted to the smell of the exhaust, ran well, never had a tranny issue or injector problems. I'm leaning towards a Ford with the 6.2 gas engine.
Government BS ruined them. They are not by themselves either as built to fail. Maybe we have cleaner air to breath from all of this. Wait a little longer and get you a new Ford 7.3...

CreekAngus said:

international built that 7.3 and 6.4 motors for ford. ford had a huge lawsuit with them over the 6.4. I have a very big international factory near me.. they are now building chevy cab trucks.. tons of them.

anyway.... the new 6.7 is a good motor and the 6.2 is a good gas motor. if you arn't hauling over 15k lbs i'd just go with the 6.2 gas.

CreekAngus said:

My main towing rig is a 6.2 with 4:30 gears. I have no problems towing anything that a SRW truck has any business pulling. We have had 6.2s for years at work, they have been amazingly reliable up to 200k miles (they are usually traded at this point, so I cannot vouch past this point).

I've got the 6.4 with 68K miles. Only problem has been a stuck EGR valve.

Some good info on the 6.4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ix1R-_C9og&t=611s

Hook2.0 said:
jltrent said:
Atimm693 said:

The guy says to get a Ford 6.0 PSD in the video.
Once bulletproofed they're are a dang good truck
Neighbor has two a 2003 and a 2006 and kelp them stock. Both getting up around 300k with what he says can count on one hand any problems he has ever fixed and none major from him telling. He has used both traveling back and forth to the coal mines and farming.

Hook2.0 said:
jltrent said:
Atimm693 said:

The guy says to get a Ford 6.0 PSD in the video.
Once bulletproofed they're are a dang good truck
Kind of sucks that a guy has to spend $6,000 to keep his engine from imploding. Thank you everyone for your insight. I'm pretty set on getting F350 with the 6.2 gas. With Washington's cdl laws you cant pull over 20k without cdl and vehicle licensing and going to the scale shack.

I have a 2008 F350 with the 6.4 L Twin Turbo diesel with under 100,000 miles that I would be happy to sell you cheap!

While it has generally done the job I bought it for several years ago, I've been pretty dissatisfied with the engine as a whole. I've put some major dollars in the engine a couple times and still hold my breath everytime I put my foot to the floor pulling a load. I can't imagine recommending anyone to buy a truck with that engine.