Flies

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Looks like flies are getting a good start. Yesterday they were all round one side of our house and even landing on the utv when it was around the barn. Then this morning let the cows in to feed them a bit and they were on them heavy too and covered the fence posts behind them after they came in the lot.
We worked some cows and calves today and my wife sprayed some vinegar water on the calves while in the chute. She heard somewhere that that would keep flies away don't know if it works for cattle or not sure it would just be very short term if it did.

It was warm here on Monday. I told my wife, I've got good news and bad news. Bad news, it's warm enough for flies. Good news, its finally warm enough for flies. (that's a little MN humor for you, ba-da-bing).

I had a staff member at the local farm supply store give me a lecture on vinegar last summer. But she claimed it had to be a special vinegar, like apple cider vinegar, not just regular white vinegar. I still walked away with some permethrin.

Be curious if vinegar worked at all.

Stickney94 said:
It was warm here on Monday. I told my wife, I've got good news and bad news. Bad news, it's warm enough for flies. Good news, its finally warm enough for flies. (that's a little MN humor for you, ba-da-bing).

I had a staff member at the local farm supply store give me a lecture on vinegar last summer. But she claimed it had to be a special vinegar, like apple cider vinegar, not just regular white vinegar. I still walked away with some permethrin.

Be curious if vinegar worked at all.

Yes I have more confidence in the permethrin my opinion the vinegar might only be effective for a few hours if that.

Ky hills said:
Looks like flies are getting a good start. Yesterday they were all round one side of our house and even landing on the utv when it was around the barn. Then this morning let the cows in to feed them a bit and they were on them heavy too and covered the fence posts behind them after they came in the lot.
We worked some cows and calves today and my wife sprayed some vinegar water on the calves while in the chute. She heard somewhere that that would keep flies away don't know if it works for cattle or not sure it would just be very short term if it did.

They have been bad here couple weeks.
I put Sabre on the cows. Got neighbors that do nothing so putting out IGR products is a waste of money.
Dang flies pay no attention to the electric fence, I think they're going under the fence.

Saw flies in the dairy barn testing the other day.....and one of the real warm days a couple weeks ago they were all over the side of the house here too.
It hit 81 today..... March 27th 2020....what is the world doing..... 2 Peach trees in full bloom, one just starting to open. Haven't seen any bees.... I'm more afraid of them freezing if we get a cold snap, but we don' t have the pollinators out yeat either.

farmerjan said:
Saw flies in the dairy barn testing the other day.....and one of the real warm days a couple weeks ago they were all over the side of the house here too.
It hit 81 today..... March 27th 2020....what is the world doing..... 2 Peach trees in full bloom, one just starting to open. Haven't seen any bees.... I'm more afraid of them freezing if we get a cold snap, but we don' t have the pollinators out yeat either.

It hit 80 here today and I liked it. Saw two kinds of bees today honey bee and the darn wood bees.

Caustic Burno said:
Ky hills said:

They have been bad here couple weeks.
I put Sabre on the cows. Got neighbors that do nothing so putting out IGR products is a waste of money.
Dang flies pay no attention to the electric fence, I think they're going under the fence.

The bigger ones here are definitely going over the fence...

It was 86 here last two days, haven't seen it this warm since 99. Our two weeks of spring is come and gone.
Texas really only has two seasons summer and winter, it's not uncommon for it to alternate in the same week.Grass is getting it I fertilized pastures yesterday.

We have seen some of ours out in the ponds at times for a few weeks. I guess maybe they are so used to the rain they don't feel right being dry

I made up some spray with apple cider vinegar and some oils like eucalyptus .....

It keeps the flies off for a period of hours...not very long at all .....

Latest posts