Biting flies

Help Support CattleToday:

Travlr

Reaction score
I found this on facebook. What think you?

May be an image of animal, outdoors and text that says 'Body Biting flies Leg Leg'

Scientists believe that the function of zebras' stripes are to deter insects, so a team of researchers painted black and white stripes on cows. They found that it reduced the number of biting flies landing on the cows by more than 50%
Source : https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0223447

Coincidentally, I just had a biting bastard fly enter my shorts. Just shut down the tractor to lick (try) my wounds (jealous of my dog at the moment).

Actually, I've heard reports that some aircraft propellers are painted in a zebra scheme to inhibit bird strikes. There are no statistics that I can find to support the effectiveness.

I saw that a while ago but never any follow up. Good luck with anyone that has the time or patience to paint their entire herd!

As an experiment, you could do a control group, but it needs to be diverse. I've found that there are certain cows (and even lineages) that just seem to attract more flies than others. I'm all about the idea of a game camera but I want it pointed at the head gate, chute, or whatever it is you're using to secure them while you're painting away!😂

Maybe you could use a big zebra stripe freeze brand. You'd have to use the front end loader to pick it up I suspect but you wouldn't have to keep painting all the time. Just brainstorming here.

Maybe you could use a big zebra stripe freeze brand. You'd have to use the front end loader to pick it up I suspect but you wouldn't have to keep painting all the time. Just brainstorming here.

Just run 'em thru the (frozen) chute and squeeze 'em good and tight. Since we are thinking outside of the box.

Latest posts