Diesel to gas rig?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky said:
slick4591 said:
A few months ago I traded a '08 Duramax for a new F250 6.2. I'm averaging around 12mpg (around town) in the Ford when I was getting closer to 16mpg with the Chevy. Took me a bit to get used to the take off power between the two, but the Duramax sure out performed pulling a load at highway speeds. Just took a 800+ mile trip pulling a 16' flatbed hauling a hay mower back and averaged around 13mpg.

I was hoping you would chime in Slick. I kept trying to remember who made the swap to the 6.2 gas. Are you happy with everything on the new Ford so far? We really like ours.

I guess I have to say I'm mostly happy with mine. There's a few of the whistles and bells that are not working like I'd like them to which is aggravating. I'm still trying to get used to the cabin buttons but that'll come with time. Turns out on some of the issues my dealer is not much help which adds to the frustration.

I think if you gotta ask yourself this question , your probably better suited with a gas truck .. Ive been moving 12 ton of rock with my 1 ton 6.7 ford dually diesel/ 8 tire gooseneck dump trailer with disc brakes and airbags . Perfect set up . I dont think a gas truck would do it , certainly not efficiently .

It depends on your driving and what you're doing... On the roads we have here, we found that any gas vehicle is a PIG on fuel, just lots of windy hills, always on and off the throttle, etc. For me, it's diesel all the way but I completely understand anyone going with a gasser.

Another important thing to consider is slowing down your load.. a diesel has 10x to brake life if it has an exhaust brake.. I've got 60,000 miles on my front brake pads with lots of life left and did I mention I'm in hilly terrain?

I've never owned a diesel pickup, but I have used a few. My 2013 ford with the 6.2 is a huge upgrade for us, it has all the power I need, rides like a 3/4 ton log truck and gets 13 mpg. I aint dumping my 85 chevy yet though.

jltrent said:
It want surprise me with all the problems people are having with tractors: injectors, partical filters, computer boards, sensors, cost of diesel if a lot of farm tractors will come back with a gas option.

I've had the same thought many times. I've put electronic ignitions and gear reduction starters on my old steel. They start and run like a new car. If you could pull on a lot and buy a brand new 656 with a gas engine, I couldn't get to town fast enough tomorrow.

Bigfoot said:
jltrent said:
It want surprise me with all the problems people are having with tractors: injectors, partical filters, computer boards, sensors, cost of diesel if a lot of farm tractors will come back with a gas option.

I've had the same thought many times. I've put electronic ignitions and gear reduction starters on my old steel. They start and run like a new car. If you could pull on a lot and buy a brand new 656 with a gas engine, I couldn't get to town fast enough tomorrow.

My dad had a MF 65 gas burner when I was small and I remember driving it. It was a pretty good old tractor as I remember pulling a 24 disk har with it and seemed to have good power for the size, but going up a hill would die down faster than the diesel tractors and kill dead if you didn't get it in a lower gear fast. With the improvements with shifting/transmissions today a lot of that could be alleviated. I would not rule out a new gas tractor. The gas burners would start better, also with smaller batteries, starters, etc.

Lucky said:
Sounds like gas may be the way to go for a feed truck. I may go drive one this week to see. My old gasser feed truck is a gutless wonder, I'm not sure it'll pull your hat off.

I'm not sure I'll ever be without a diesel pickup again. They just pull to good and don't stay wound up while doing it. I probably don't really need one but it's nice to have when you do. I just think a gasser might be better for a feed truck. Now should I get a regular or extended cab?
Extended cab. There's no debate (at least for me). Once you have one, you'll never go back to a regular cab. :)

An extended cab without doors to access it is a total PITA!!

I would never touch a gas power tractor.. I have 2 and they're nothing but a source of frustration.

Since I got my first crew cab I can't imagine even going back to an extended cab. Unless of course I spent time in a city.... cities are not built for CC longbox trucks.

slick4591 said:
Lucky said:
slick4591 said:
A few months ago I traded a '08 Duramax for a new F250 6.2. I'm averaging around 12mpg (around town) in the Ford when I was getting closer to 16mpg with the Chevy. Took me a bit to get used to the take off power between the two, but the Duramax sure out performed pulling a load at highway speeds. Just took a 800+ mile trip pulling a 16' flatbed hauling a hay mower back and averaged around 13mpg.

I was hoping you would chime in Slick. I kept trying to remember who made the swap to the 6.2 gas. Are you happy with everything on the new Ford so far? We really like ours.

I guess I have to say I'm mostly happy with mine. There's a few of the whistles and bells that are not working like I'd like them to which is aggravating. I'm still trying to get used to the cabin buttons but that'll come with time. Turns out on some of the issues my dealer is not much help which adds to the frustration.

I'm with you on all the extras being hard to use. I can't figure all that stuff out.

Silver said:
Since I got my first crew cab I can't imagine even going back to an extended cab. Unless of course I spent time in a city.... cities are not built for CC longbox trucks.

I sold a crew cab Dodge and bought this truck a few months ago. I miss the storage room but this thing sure is handy.

Silver said:

In my extended cab truck I have the seat folded down 99% of the time for storage. I can't imagine that working folks buy short bed trucks.

cfpinz said:
Silver said:

I sold a crew cab Dodge and bought this truck a few months ago. I miss the storage room but this thing sure is handy.

Nice rig.

cfpinz said:
Silver said:

That is a nice looking rig and beautiful country....around the Charlottesville VA area especially looking down on the Shenandoah Valley is nice...

cfpinz said:
Silver said:

Nice rig and really pretty country. I'm thinking a single wheel F350 regular cab with a Hydrabed will be in my future.

Lucky, my feed truck is a 2010 f250 extended cab 4x4 with hydraulic bale flatbed and cake feeder. It has the V10 gas engine. Plenty of power and not as bad on gas as I had thought it would be. If I could have picked I would have went with the V8 but I bought the truck because of the bed. I have a 2017 F350 with a 6.7 diesel I use for pulling, gas just doesn't produce enough torque for the big loads.

midTN_Brangusman said:
Lucky, my feed truck is a 2010 f250 extended cab 4x4 with hydraulic bale flatbed and cake feeder. It has the V10 gas engine. Plenty of power and not as bad on gas as I had thought it would be. If I could have picked I would have went with the V8 but I bought the truck because of the bed. I have a 2017 F350 with a 6.7 diesel I use for pulling, gas just doesn't produce enough torque for the big loads.

Thanks for the relpy. What bed and feeder are you running?

I'm all about gas powered, regular cab feed trucks. I want the lightest, shortest thing I can get to get around in, and I never know when I might need to get in it in the cold and go immediately for a mile, then turn it off for an hour and get back in and do the same thing again - that's just not good for a turbocharged diesel engine. And the first thing most of us do is put at least a heavy grill guard if not a full replacement bumper/grill guard - add that weight to a diesel motor and driving in pastures and on rough roads and you are going to wear out front end components much faster.

And at the same time, I'm all about turbo diesel crew cab trucks to pull trailers with. Plenty of power, plenty of comfort.

I tried to do it all with the same truck for a long time and it never worked - something never quite worked out right. Now I feed with an F250 regular cab, 5.4 V8, 6 speed manual, and I pull trailers with a K2500 Duramax crew cab LTZ. And I'm happier both ways.

Your experiences may vary.

I love single cabs for all the reasons listed but I have gotten too used to having that back seat full of tools and stuff. Plus, the 4 doors are getting easier to come by.

20190328_110400_zps9etnbgri.jpg

Lucky said:
midTN_Brangusman said:

Thanks for the relpy. What bed and feeder are you running?

I have a Bradford spike bed and a tarter 1200 lb feeder. The truck didn't have a feeder on it when I bought it. I was planning on putting a 3C on it and came across this one at a local farm auction, it was new never been used for a little over $1k. I am very pleased with it so far.

Latest posts