Diesel shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Not sure what the reason but on road diesel was 5.70 and off road was 4.99 at
The terminal in Knoxville TN this afternoon. Add 5 cents to haul it here. We are still able to get several tractor trailer loads a day but some companies aren't able to get any.
We are being told it could get really bad next week.
Not trying to do anything but give some information. Draw your own conclusions.

I'm betting it pencils out. The electrics will outlast diesels with less maintenance, and the diesels probably get 3/5 MPG @ $5+ per gallon.
$790,000 for 2 busses and charging equipment. Somehow I don't see it penciling out.
Plus anything that goes wrong we will have to get someone besides our bus shop to work on it.

$790,000 for 2 busses and charging equipment. Somehow I don't see it penciling out.
Plus anything that goes wrong we will have to get someone besides our bus shop to work on it.
Well a new diesel bus costs about 250/280K and have probably gone up. Plus all the infrastructure involved using internal combustion engines. Fuel and oil aren't cheap, filters etc. And electrics have a lot less moving parts and are easier to work on. Lifespan should be improved.

There's reasons trains are powered by electric motors even when those motors are powered by diesel generators.

I also know there are downsides to electric. Battery disposal/recycle comes to mind.

I don't know what the actual figures are... but I'd like to see them.

Last edited:
Well a new diesel bus costs about 250/280K and have probably gone up. Plus all the infrastructure involved using internal combustion engines. Fuel and oil aren't cheap, filters etc. And electrics have a lot less moving parts and are easier to work on. Lifespan should be improved.

There's reasons trains are powered by electric motors even when those motors are powered by diesel generators.

I also know there are downsides to electric. Battery disposal/recycle comes to mind.

I don't know what the actual figures are... but I'd like to see them.
Here are some actual figures. My eyes glazed over and the only conclusion I could form was "it's complicated".

Latest posts