Dang It

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT":1tngcihr said:
Just think of how much spare time some of you guys would have If it was not for pigs and beavers.

Yeah, I could take up golf! :lol2:

Had 20 in a field this morning. One died of lead poisoning and then I checked the snares. 3 of 6 were tripped and one had actually caught something but apparently I had a design flaw and it broke free. I had put a swivel on an extension cable thinking that would help keep them from twisting the wire all up but the pig pulled this open. I don't know how much force it took to straighten this but I think it was a lot. Just made up 12 more snares without this feature so I'll see how this goes in the morning. I'm still learning. Slowly.

17191112_1688104118154147_6380839518517326555_n.jpg

Jo dang hog is one stout critter.
I have had one move this trap 8 or 10 yards in the pasture before from inside.
That is one heavy trap takes a tractor to pick up.

You might try using a thinner piece of wire or cable for your snare. When I really hated deer I used a snare made out of #10 piano wire. Most the does throats would be cut and the bucks would break the wire and escape.

I don't think the cable is the problem. They load fine. I think I need to just work on my setups. I'll see how they do in the morning.

Here is what a piney woods rooter can do to a man who isn't quick enough with the knife when he goes to stick 'em.

17103485_1689079118056647_9061643578401565398_n.jpg

He failed the IQ test when he pulled a knife at a hog fight as he has four.
When I go to kill hogs with a 22 LR I have a 357 on my hip. I am not getting close enough for knife work until the hog is DRT.

I don't know why some of the guys do this. I guess its an adrenaline rush. Not for me. Not now anyway. Maybe in my younger days assuming there was someone willing to hold my beer. :lol2:

I enjoyed catching hogs with dogs and never carried a gun. I would bob a sows tail and castrate and ear notch the boars. Then I started selling the hogs to game farms in North Carolina and Tennessee. And when I was told I had to start killing them, I quit hog hunting. If I'd of known then what I know now I'd of killed everyone of those stinking varmits. Throughout my hog hunting career with dogs I lost 14 good dogs to the hogs.

True Grit Farms":2yqce146 said:
I enjoyed catching hogs with dogs and never carried a gun. I would bob a sows tail and castrate and ear notch the boars. Then I started selling the hogs to game farms in North Carolina and Tennessee. And when I was told I had to start killing them, I quit hog hunting. If I'd of known then what I know now I'd of killed everyone of those stinking varmits. Throughout my hog hunting career with dogs I lost 14 good dogs to the hogs.
Dad and I marked or cut hundreds of hogs when I was a kid. It was open range and everyone's hogs ran in the woods. Those were domestic hogs turned loose and turned mean enough.
This mess we have now is heavily Russian influenced and makes those old hogs look tame.

Caustic Burno":3id00c9q said:
True Grit Farms":3id00c9q said:
Dad and I marked or cut hundreds of hogs when I was a kid. It was open range and everyone's hogs ran in the woods. Those were domestic hogs turned loose and turned mean enough.
This mess we have now is heavily Russian influenced and makes those old hogs look tame.

I shot a rank Russian boar hog at 15' with #4's the wad and shot never penetrated his shield. That was the last time I went turkey hunting without carrying a 00 buckshot or 2 with me.

TG I always have a couple loads of buckshot in my pocket for that very reason. Where buckshot is not allowed a 45 or 357 on my hip.
Few years back ole Rube found a litter of pigs while squirrel hunting. She went to killing pigs and I thought that old sow was going to eat us alive.
After five loads of #6 shot she decided it was too hot to stay. I never put her down.

Thankfully my pigs have moved north but they will be back once the pivot field is planted. I hope to line up a bunch of snares on their trails and catch them all. They've gotten trap wise except the little ones.

Jogeephus":3jp4fyer said:
Thankfully my pigs have moved north but they will be back once the pivot field is planted. I hope to line up a bunch of snares on their trails and catch them all. They've gotten trap wise except the little ones.

Have to wire the traps open here and put a game camera on it. When they all start going in set it.
I have been feeding them for a week still got two that are leary.

I set three snares yesterday and ended up with these two this morning. Either I was lucky or I'm getting better at trapping.

17353520_1691918987772660_1301521088292601444_n.jpg

Here is my ongoing battle with my aquatic pigs. Every stick you see from the beginning of the photo to the dark shadow have been placed there by the beavers in a week's time. I'm getting about sick of these pests.

17342482_1692082957756263_2354363107636210693_n.jpg

Jogeephus":3eh46hcz said:
Here is my ongoing battle with my aquatic pigs. Every stick you see from the beginning of the photo to the dark shadow have been placed there by the beavers in a week's time. I'm getting about sick of these pests.

17342482_1692082957756263_2354363107636210693_n.jpg

You at least have hope if hides ever rise again.
I haven't ever heard of anyone wanting a hog hide.

True enough but there is a lot more meat on a pig than a beaver. I actually have the solution to the problem but I'm reluctant to use it. I really wish this area wasn't so hard to get to because its a job just getting to this spot. I am considering blowing out a shooting lane into the area where I might could use some night vision to shoot them. I don't know how cost effective this might be but it sure would make me feel better if I could spray their brains over the water.

Latest posts