Dang It

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":1awdr5lw said:
Been soaking my corn in strawberry jello it makes it irresistible to them or the can smell it from a long way off.
You can fool a hogs eyes and ears not his nose.
One pack of jello per 10 quart bucket.

I've heard that and Koolaide works good. Never tried it but I may take your advice. Should be planting corn and peanuts before long so I figure the pigs will be coming toward the fields to root up the seed so I'm going to use that as bait and see if I can't set the snares along the trails leading to the fields. A guy I work with has a friend who has a trap that is hooked to his cell phone and he gets an alert when the pigs get in his trap and he can view them. Last weekend he caught a whole sounder of pigs in that one trap. I'd like to have one of these but they are pricey but if I could get some local farmers to pay me a bounty on the pigs I catch I'd consider buying one but I haven't gotten much interest in this idea from those I've talked to. Maybe if the FSA paid them to pay me they might consider it. :hide:

i saw a real nice swnging door trap easy to build and with a game cam attatched you could easily get a notif when something in it..it just lets em in and theyre so dumb they fill it up..theyre awesome

I've heard mix reviews on the one way doors but I don't have any experience with them and am sure they are better than a single trip door. I think if you really wanted to catch them all the phone triggered door would be best but they are costly. The pigs don't cause me that much damage where I have them so I'm mainly trapping them for meat but if they get on some other lands I'll resort to something else. If some of the farmers who are actually losing crops to the pigs would pay a bounty on them to help with the cost of a good trap I'd probably buy one. I think it would be fun.

Jogeephus":2qc82rgl said:
I've heard mix reviews on the one way doors but I don't have any experience with them and am sure they are better than a single trip door. I think if you really wanted to catch them all the phone triggered door would be best but they are costly. The pigs don't cause me that much damage where I have them so I'm mainly trapping them for meat but if they get on some other lands I'll resort to something else. If some of the farmers who are actually losing crops to the pigs would pay a bounty on them to help with the cost of a good trap I'd probably buy one. I think it would be fun.

Jo where they are a real problem over they build a round trap out of cattle panel with a gilotine (sp) and use a tire as the trip. They wire the door open and bait the trap with a game camera on it. The trigger is at the back of the trap and they don't unlock the door until the whole sounder is going in.
Dr. Billy Higginbohams site on TAMU has the plans and techniques on it if your interested.

Caustic Burno":2pyw8utn said:

Thanks, when I get some time I'll give that a thorough read. Looks like a lot of info.

Dieselbeef, that is a pretty neat piece of equipment but I don't think it would work in my situation because I think it would meet the same fate as this piece of equipment 100 yards before it reached the first beaver dam. I stepped in quicksand this week so this is some rotten dirt for sure. Besides, using a piece of equipment like that takes away from the "hold my beer and watch this" factor and you gotta have a little of that. :nod:

15826065_1204428562927432_5896621079907536514_n.jpg

SmokinM":241imdc2 said:
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15826065_1204428562927432_5896621079907536514_n.jpg?oh=a48b7e9e58f7a01d72ea860003102874&oe=596BC61B

Is this one of yours Jo. Don't know what you did wrong people tell me all the time you can't get anything on tracks stuck! That would definitely make you declare war on some beavers. Always amazed me a couple of rats can get more water stopped than $2 million in equipment.

Not mine but a friends. It happened about six weeks ago. He had to come out the escape hatch. Bad thing is it was near about brand new but they got it out and its still working.

Jogeephus":v6jz4yfv said:
I wish I did have a pirogue and have thought about getting one of those standup surfboard things because I think a boat would be too big and I don't know how well I could stand up on that board thing so I have to sludge my way through the muck and watch for snakes. Its not a friendly walk you might as well expect to be bleeding by the time you get out. I hate beavers.

Fixing to go down there at lunch and do some more trenching. These things aren't going to beat me.

GB we've had a terrible lot going on lately with my father in law being sick so I've been giving them a little break lately. Guess I'm gonna have to get Joe to come help me out. I think I've temporarily worried them into submission. I'm sure they will be back but I was tearing their tails up for a while. They are gonna have to back up and regroup once they build their number back up. Then it will be game on again I'm sure.

Its a constant battle isn't it? Here is another one from this weekend. She had a lot of babies with her and I had hoped they would come back but I got bored of waiting.

17022404_1686975404933685_640835521610867089_n.jpg

Caustic Burno":f8tjx1lb said:
Jo I hate to break this to you they are winning the war as you know.
Mathematics is in there favor they are endless.

Same with the beavers. They are relentless.

Just think of how much spare time some of you guys would have If it was not for pigs and beavers.

Latest posts