Custer's Last Stand

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bright Raven

Reaction score
104gs3t.jpg

The debate about Confederate Memorials reminded me of the Crow grievances over the National Cemetery on the Crow Reservation.

When I inspected the Absaloka Mine (The Absaloka Mine is a 10,427 acre permitted, single-pit surface mine complex located on the Crow Indian Reservation) in the early 1980s, the battlefield was known as The Custer National Cemetery. I had duties that involved me in the Crow Administration. Once they trusted me, they freely expressed their grievances about not being recognized in the Memorial.

The Battle of Little Bighorn occurred on June 25–26, 1876 near the Little Bighorn River, Crow Indian Reservation, Big Horn County, Montana. The Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho won that battle but the Memorial only recognized the US Troops. The Crow are very proud of those two days in their history.

Originally, on 29 January 1879, The Secretary of War preserved the site as a U.S. National Cemetery, to protect graves of the 7th Cavalry troopers buried there.  Then on 7 December 1886, the site was proclaimed "National Cemetery of Custer's Battlefield Reservation". The name was shortened to "Custer National Cemetery."

On 1 July 1940: The site was transferred from the United States Department of War to the National Park Service.

22 March 1946: The site was redesignated "Custer Battlefield National Monument."

15 October 1966: The site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

FINALLY, ON
10 December 1991: The site was renamed Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument by a law signed by then President George H. W. Bush.

Today, the Memorial now recognizes the victory.

The bill that changed the name of the national monument also called for an "Indian Memorial" to be built near Last Stand Hill.

Markers honoring the Indians who fought at Little Big Horn, including Crazy Horse, have been added to those of the U.S. troops. On Memorial Day, 1999, the first of five red granite markers denoting where warriors fell during the battle were placed on the battlefield for Cheyenne warriors Lame White Man and Noisy Walking.

Bright Raven":3gg33l8i said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3gg33l8i said:
Bright Raven":3gg33l8i said:
Yes. Correct. Not a great accomplishment!

Because they weren't much of a challenge or because you don't like the outcome?

Because of difference in technology.

I hear ya, just like the natives in Africa, they sat around for centuries and did nothing to advance their societies through technology.

TennesseeTuxedo":3ssb4b4h said:
Bright Raven":3ssb4b4h said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3ssb4b4h said:

I hear ya, just like the natives in Africa, they sat around for centuries and did nothing to advance their societies through technology.

American Indians were nomads. Nomadic societies are at a disadvantage in advancing technology. They were also newcomers to North America where as the Europeans were settled and that promotes technological advancement. The factors in Africa include a very difficult environment. Lots of disease and difficult environmental conditions.

If you have a chance to visit this site it is well worth the effort. Make sure you are there when one of the park rangers recites verbally the history and timeline of the battle. Once you see the site and how the grave markers are scattered on the hill sides the ranger brings the battle to life like it happened last week not 140 years ago. Hard to keep a dry eye.

bird dog":17kcjviz said:
If you have a chance to visit this site it is well worth the effort. Make sure you are there when one of the park rangers recites verbally the history and timeline of the battle. Once you see the site and how the grave markers are scattered on the hill sides the ranger brings the battle to life like it happened last week not 140 years ago. Hard to keep a dry eye.

Crow Agency is just at the foot of the rise up to the battlefield. I probably went past the battlefield 30 or 40 times. I never stayed for the Park Ranger to narrate the battle.

I passed through the Port of Entry/Weigh Station at Crow Agency a few times in an earlier life.

ga.prime":1yx8qh0t said:
I passed through the Port of Entry/Weigh Station at Crow Agency a few times in an earlier life.

Then you were on I-90. You also crossed the Bighorn River near Hardin. Hardin was a place you had to be careful. I stayed in a Motel there several times. The bars are rough. I went once, never went again.

Bright Raven":1zxcmhvb said:
ga.prime":1zxcmhvb said:

Then you were on I-90. You also crossed the Bighorn River near Hardin. Hardin was a place you had to be careful. I stayed in a Motel there several times. The bars are rough. I went once, never went again.
Heard that. Don't go in the one across from the Microtel Inn parking lot in Moab, Utah either.

TennesseeTuxedo":1gjxdv6d said:
Bright Raven":1gjxdv6d said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1gjxdv6d said:

There is a theory that the closer to the equator your dna the lower the IQ.
The American Indian doesn't fit that as they never left the Stone Age .
They never conquered the wheel.

The Cheyenne won the battle, the Sioux got the credit, and the Crow got the land. The Crow were the scouts for Custer.

Walked into a bar in Nespelem, WA one time. That is the reservation where Chief Joseph spent his last days. For a while I thought we were going to do a reenactment of Custer's last stand and I was going to get to play Custer. Luckily for me the toughest Indian in the place was a friend of mine. When that became known I was instantly everyone's friend.

True Grit Farms":264fhpqj said:
http://shenandoahvalleysimmentals.com
According to these ladies, Custer got exactly what he deserved.
Dang Yankee

I looked the webpage over. Interesting article on Minnie W and her murder.

Arkansas OTOH, evidently holds some civil war Yankees in high esteem. My brother lived in a town near Little Rock named after Phil Sheridan and the county is Grant County. Nearby, is a small community called Ico, supposedly named because a Union Company (I Company) used the spot as camp or bivouac..

Dave":zhsa5gnk said:
The Cheyenne won the battle, the Sioux got the credit, and the Crow got the land. The Crow were the scouts for Custer.

Walked into a bar in Nespelem, WA one time. That is the reservation where Chief Joseph spent his last days. For a while I thought we were going to do a reenactment of Custer's last stand and I was going to get to play Custer. Luckily for me the toughest Indian in the place was a friend of mine. When that became known I was instantly everyone's friend.
I used to run with a bunch of indians in calfornia. When we went to various roadhouses the white boys always took offense at the indian boys wanting to dance with the white girls and me dancing with both girls. Ah yes, good times back when I was young enough to think fighting was fun.

greybeard":11eng2u5 said:
https://iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country
List and map of IQ by country at above link.

I don't doubt that data at all in today's world.
I would be curious to what the Average American Indians would have ran 200 years ago compared to their counterparts the settlers.
Even the illiterate settlers were centuries ahead IMO.

Bright Raven":4qnsj4no said:
TennesseeTuxedo":4qnsj4no said:
Bright Raven":4qnsj4no said:

American Indians were nomads. Nomadic societies are at a disadvantage in advancing technology. They were also newcomers to North America where as the Europeans were settled and that promotes technological advancement. The factors in Africa include a very difficult environment. Lots of disease and difficult environmental conditions.

Are you really trying to say that Indians were "newcomers" to North America? POPPYCOCK!

I have heard it a million times, they are the only truly native Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts