Creep Feeding Calves while still nursing

Help Support CattleToday:

machslammer

Reaction score
Searched lots of threads on here and can't find any that explained what I was curious of..

What % feed are you guys, that creep feed, feeding? We have been using the least % that performance feeds and CPC made which is a 13% protein 2-3% fat. I was reading where a calf really needs 15-16%, and also that they really can only ingest so much anyways. So, if they are getting milk from a good milking cow, and grass, the low percentage at 13% really doesn't help much because they are not ingesting enough to make a difference of it. Any suggestions and what are others doing with good results? Here is what performance feeds locally says about their 13, 14, 15, 16, and creeper elite with prices. Thanks for thoughts, advice, and results from others.

Performance Gainer 13% -- $220 Tonis a high fiber, slower growth ration with Rumensin.
•Medicated
•13% Protein, 3% Fat

Performance Grower Supreme 14% -- $233 Ton
is our most popular ration. A balanced ration for fast growing livestock, fully fortified with superior levels of vitamins, minerals, protein, fat and energy. Achieve maximum daily gains at the least cost per pound of gain with Rumensin. Primarily used as a full feed, however, this blend also works well for both creep feeding and hand feeding.
•Medicated High Energy Ration
•14% Protein, 3% Fat

Performance Maximizer 15% -- $250 TON
is a 70% pelleted mix with no meal feed, delivering a balanced ration. Superior vitamin, mineral, fat and energy ration with Rumensin. Primarily used as a full feed, however, also works well for both creep feeding and hand feeding.
•15% Protein, 3.5% Fat

Performance Optimum 16% -- $240 TON
is designed for controlled feeding where forage is available as a primary source of fiber intake. Unique flavor, texture and smell appeal to cattle. A concentrated, high protein, high calorie ration with Rumensin. Hand feed only
•16% Protein, 3% Fat

Performance Elite Creep -- $260 TON
is formulated to introduce young calves to a full feed mix while still nursing. Designed for young calves with different nutrient needs than cows to be able to take full advantage of what they are eating.
•Medicated with Rumensin
•High Energy Ration
•15% Protein, 3% Fat

The only people I've seen that did any good with creep also implanted the sucking calves

My two cents. It only helps them start eating when you wean them. If I was going to feed one, it would be the elite creep. Those look like good prices on the other feeds. I quit cpc. They delivered feed to my place two times in a row at 2:30 in the morning. For some jacked up reason I couldn't charge to them either. Had to be there to meet the truck and pay.

We creep feed while the calves are still on the momma. I buy the 14% cow blend from Southern States. I believe the actual protein is higher. The 14% is guaranteed.
I really like the way the calves are growing off.

I start mine 2 to 3 weeks before weaning I used 14% Performace grower supreme for a long time quit them went to CPC the recommended 13% grower I was told it was better if they were on full feed, but if I was hand feeding use the 14% it seems to work good for me.

Can't tell that much about it but at least they "write it up" well. And the price on them looks very reasonable. I always kept out a small creep feeder just so calves could begin going in and out nibbling asap. Didn't worry about how much they ate, but just wanted them to start eating quickly. Always feed a meal type feed with cottonseed hulls in it. 10% protein, 5% fat, 15^ fiber with a TDN of 72% containing 50% corn and medicated with CTC and Bovatec. Wasn't a cheap feed but calves grew very fast and would eventually simply grow themselves out of the small feeder.

Good deal.glad to see what others are doing and have tried. I got the 14 with tdn of 71 to try it. Supposed to be more pelleted so less compacting in the feeder for me to have to deal with too. Well see.

machslammer":2nxhffw3 said:
Good deal.glad to see what others are doing and have tried. I got the 14 with tdn of 71 to try it. Supposed to be more pelleted so less compacting in the feeder for me to have to deal with too. Well see.
Not much difference between the 14% or 16% as far as compacting in a bin or feeder. We have use their feeds for a couple years now. Started out with the 14% grower then went to the Optimum 16%. Been happy with their service and feed.

tom4018":f6edtsx8 said:
machslammer":f6edtsx8 said:
Not much difference between the 14% or 16% as far as compacting in a bin or feeder. We have use their feeds for a couple years now. Started out with the 14% grower then went to the Optimum 16%. Been happy with their service and feed.

Tom,
Do you all creep the 16%? Was afraid to after they said it was a hand feel deal only. Thanks.

machslammer":1aiaxv37 said:
tom4018":1aiaxv37 said:
machslammer":1aiaxv37 said:

Tom,
Do you all creep the 16%? Was afraid to after they said it was a hand feel deal only. Thanks.

Yes, but I probably creep different more than most people. When my calves are getting close to weaning age I start putting a little feed in the feeder usually only what I want them to have a day usually no more than a couple buckets at a time. More labor for me but I never give full creep. I think it helps so that when they are wean they go right to the trough.

I usually get more creep feeding done in the winter time, really helps keep momma from getting to ran down, and the calves are ready to go come April. Summer time if there's grass, will have only fed 500 pound after 6 months. Mine is about 13% pro. and 5% fat.

tom4018":958q2ko6 said:
machslammer":958q2ko6 said:
Both are too high in protein. No need to pay extra money for something they don't need. Mama's milk is very high in protein.

TexasBred":2x43j61d said:
tom4018":2x43j61d said:
machslammer":2x43j61d said:
Both are too high in protein. No need to pay extra money for something they don't need. Mama's milk is very high in protein.
I mainly feed this to lightweight feeder calves not on momma, do you feel that is too much protein for them?

tom4018":144rv2s8 said:
I mainly feed this to lightweight feeder calves not on momma, do you feel that is too much protein for them?

How lightweight?? Must be weaning awfully early but eitrher way I would stay with 12 or less in protein and emphasis energy content. I've just never found a really good pelleted feed that had enough TDN or energy. Most will run 12% or higher in fiber so energy goes down as fiber goes up. Most are least cost formulations especially if they are "cheap". If fiber is 8% or less it "might" be a good feed. One reason I feed the meal or ground type feed is that I can see the grain and not just assume it is in the feed.

I buy some 3 weights and feed to 600 or so. This is not a complete pellet feed, it has corn gluten and soyhull pellets in it but also has fines. Weigh some calves the other day that are averaging over 2 pounds a day on it.

tom4018":3mwdabjb said:
I buy some 3 weights and feed to 600 or so. This is not a complete pellet feed, it has corn gluten and soyhull pellets in it but also has fines. Weigh some calves the other day that are averaging over 2 pounds a day on it.

How much feed per head per day to get the 2 lb. gain?

TexasBred":366x5w4y said:
tom4018":366x5w4y said:

How much feed per head per day to get the 2 lb. gain?
Around 2% of body weight or slightly less.

Sounds interesting... I fill a 1200 lb feeder up that way I don't have to mess with it for a while. I have fed 3 tons in 6 months. Just bought the 14% 3 TOn that will get me through Dec. . I usually don't wean any of my steer calves, just take them off and to a sell. I only feed to assist momma's with not getting pulled down so much and to boost the calf along a little. Studies have shown that calves do best off of 15-16% but most of those you can't full creep. Got my 14%R in yesterday and boy does it smell better than the 13% and looks better too. Think I'll be happy with paying the extra 10$ Ton.

machslammer":1facib4r said:
Sounds interesting... I fill a 1200 lb feeder up that way I don't have to mess with it for a while. I have fed 3 tons in 6 months. Just bought the 14% 3 TOn that will get me through Dec. . I usually don't wean any of my steer calves, just take them off and to a sell. I only feed to assist momma's with not getting pulled down so much and to boost the calf along a little. Studies have shown that calves do best off of 15-16% but most of those you can't full creep. Got my 14%R in yesterday and boy does it smell better than the 13% and looks better too. Think I'll be happy with paying the extra 10$ Ton.
You got the Grower 14%? That is what we did feed, the 16% looks and smells like it. We mainly hand feed lightweight feeders but use it to creep a little, neighbor runs about 100 feeders and use the 16%.

tom4018":vyypqblh said:
machslammer":vyypqblh said:
You got the Grower 14%? That is what we did feed, the 16% looks and smells like it. We mainly hand feed lightweight feeders but use it to creep a little, neighbor runs about 100 feeders and use the 16%.

Yeah the Grower 14R. I just want momma s not pulled down as badly, see good growth out of the calves, and could care less if they eat feed quickly for the next feedlot or not after I get my money for them. :)

Latest posts