Feeding calves for weaning/ holding

Help Support CattleToday:

Ya I'm thinking I'll make the call when we get to that point depending ding or prices and how they look. Not sure if it will be the case at that time but here you don't really want to bust your target and go much over 600. There is a pretty big dip in the price per pound some times.

The difference in the #12 vs the #10 pound represents on more feeding basically. Instead of 6 refills, it would be 7. Dollars wise, it's $33 per head for every 2 weeks you keep them.

If a person had a scale, I could weigh them and know their gains for sure, especially in that last 30 days, and decide if the pounds of gain is worth more than $33. There is a scale about 15 miles away, I would just have to load a few and haul them if I really wanted to.
That costs money in time, fuel and shrink.

@Brute 23 I'll sure be glad when sale day gets here.

Super interested in how it turns out. I fed about 10 of em one time. Didn't work out so good for me. That was before I kept actual numbers. I'm like u, I'd love to have a scale so could SEE results as we go!

Don't worry. Prices are gonna be there as long as we don't get 100 days of 100 degrees again!

We still have the calves. They have settled in around #10phpd with the #150 salt and green pasture. They have definitely put some pounds on.

I turned them to a new little pasture with pretty good grass around the 1st of the month. I think we will see s slight drop in feed rates again because they are spending a lot more time out in the pasture.

Hopefully prices hold.

Opening up the new pasture first of the month.

Last edited:
Calves look good. The group of cattle left behind are probably pizzed!!!
They have to follow me through the pens, out the bottom, then hang a left, to then walk through that alley bowe. The ones in the video understood the plan. The others went left too early and just balled up in the pens. 😄 It took a few minutes but they finally filed out and came through with the others.

We still have the calves. They have settled in around #10phpd with the #150 salt and green pasture. They have definitely put some pounds on.

I turned them to a new little pasture with pretty good grass around the 1st of the month. I think we will see s slight drop in feed rates again because they are spending a lot more time out in the pasture.

Hopefully prices hold.

Opening up the new pasture first of the month.

They look like the KIND!

Biguns are bringing well over 2000/HD round here. They look like they can still get bigger.

Latest posts