corriente charolais cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowboy21

Reaction score
I have the chance to get a corriente charolais cross. I dont know much about corriente crossed cattle. I want cattle with body figures like angus, charolais, and limousines, like that size and figure. Whats anybodies thoughts on this corriente charolais cross??

I doubt you will get what you want. Probably a horned, thin butted, spotted animal that will make a good roping calf. Welcome to the forum

We have a bunch of Corriente cows and are breeding them to a Charolais bull and I am loving the cross so far. Had a solid yellow calf out of one yesterday. That will be a great cow for you and will raise a heck of a calf. We got into the Longhorn and Corriente business just to get the crosses to use as mommas. Farmers have been doing it in my area for years. Jump on it and get that cow.

This is a Longhorn Charolais cross cow that we have and her calf. She is a huge cow and raised this heck of a calf. When we sold her calf it weighed 450 pounds and brough $1125. She brought through the roughest winter we have had in years and looked like nothing even bothered her at all. She also had a solid white calf this last weekend so she is rolling on again. Your Corriente Charolais cross cow will do just as good as this cow did.

bird dog":24s45kky said:
I doubt you will get what you want what you want. Probably a horned, thin butted, spotted animal that will make a good roping calf. Welcome to the forum

If its a Corriente Charolais cross it wont be spotted. It is probably yellow. And it won't be thin butted either having the Charolais in it. Now horns could be a possibility.

I think it will makes a good commercial cow if its a solid colored. The calves will be 1/4 Corriente anyways so its not much noticeable.

Cowboy21":3duwj8y6 said:
I have the chance to get a corriente charolais cross. I dont know much about corriente crossed cattle. I want cattle with body figures like angus, charolais, and limousines, like that size and figure. Whats anybodies thoughts on this corriente charolais cross??
Then I don't think corrient cross cattle are what you want. You don't mention what you plan to do with it/them? But I think it's a safe bet that it'll be much thinner framed than what you prefer.

M.Magis":365swp2o said:
Cowboy21":365swp2o said:
Then I don't think corrient cross cattle are what you want. You don't mention what you plan to do with it/them? But I think it's a safe bet that it'll be much thinner framed than what you prefer.

+1

I guess the real question for me is why would you do it? If it is a hobby type operation then by all means go for it. If you are trying to raise the best animal you can and one that the buyers pay top dollar for, why would you even bring a Corriente or Longhorn into the picture. I guess if you got some cross cows at a real good price it might be worth it but if I want to maximize the value of each animal, I want a beef type animal as the sire and dam and have them throw calves that are solid colored through the body and polled. Everything else will get docked in almost all situations.

bird dog":7bf16y2d said:
I guess the real question for me is why would you do it? If it is a hobby type operation then by all means go for it. If you are trying to raise the best animal you can and one that the buyers pay top dollar for, why would you even bring a Corriente or Longhorn into the picture. I guess if you got some cross cows at a real good price it might be worth it but if I want to maximize the value of each animal, I want a beef type animal as the sire and dam and have them throw calves that are solid colored through the body and polled. Everything else will get docked in almost all situations.
they got docked if the chrome or horns show up but I don't think you can get docked for being a 1/4 Corriente calf if its a solid colored as long as the half Corriente cow is bred to the best bulls.

Red Bull Breeder":2ejd7spr said:
Angus does not look like charolais or limousin. Corriente cross will not look either of those three.
What he said.
Corriente do have their place, though. They make good roping steers and can live where goats are the only other viable option.

Big Cheese":10i8v477 said:

This is a Longhorn Charolais cross cow that we have and her calf. She is a huge cow and raised this heck of a calf. When we sold her calf it weighed 450 pounds and brough $1125. She brought through the roughest winter we have had in years and looked like nothing even bothered her at all. She also had a solid white calf this last weekend so she is rolling on again. Your Corriente Charolais cross cow will do just as good as this cow did.
I don't have good cattle by any stretch of the imagination but if I had a cow that was weaning calves consistently at 450lb I'm not sure she wouldn't be culled. Last year I only had one mature cow that weaned one that light and it was born a month later than the others. Now I did have a couple heifers wean one that light but they get another chance. Long term I want a herd that consistently weans calves over 500lb, I don't think thats too much to ask.
Each person has opportunities to make a dollar and I understand the concept of using cheap cows to make money. Less investment starting out while the market is high but I don't see that as a long term plan.

For me it would come down to price. If she's cheap and you can make $ why not for for it? Who cares if she's white? Cut the horns off and be done with it. I have a few different colored cows in my herd and it don't bother me a bit as long as they wean a good solid colored calf or baldy. I agree about the giant cow weaning 450lb calves. I wouldn't keep her. I'm trying to decide weather or not to keep a HH I have that goes about 1400+ but last 2 calves have been 600 and 620. She had plenty of quality food too. Waiting to see what she does with her current steer calf.

Toad":3eiaj0ll said:
Big Cheese":3eiaj0ll said:

I don't have good cattle by any stretch of the imagination but if I had a cow that was weaning calves consistently at 450lb I'm not sure she wouldn't be culled. Last year I only had one mature cow that weaned one that light and it was born a month later than the others. Now I did have a couple heifers wean one that light but they get another chance. Long term I want a herd that consistently weans calves over 500lb, I don't think thats too much to ask.
Each person has opportunities to make a dollar and I understand the concept of using cheap cows to make money. Less investment starting out while the market is high but I don't see that as a long term plan.

She was a heifer....and if yall would cull her then yall don't know much about a good cow.

i know guys that buy and breed quite a few longhorn and corriente cows to charolais bulls, probably have around 1,500 out on grass at the moment. i have seen the subsequent calves on feed and was impressed with the results. I'm not saying they were the best pens of fats I've ever seen but i am saying they looked pretty good considering they were the product of crossing a 700lbs ugly old longhorn cow and a "just good enough" charolais bull.

She's a cull here. Because of a bunch of things, but horns, and spots have no place on my place.
Big Cheese you guy's are doing a good job, and I'm proud for you. But what your doing it not ideal.

Red Bull Breeder":l1r8tu6z said:
Angus does not look like charolais or limousin. Corriente cross will not look either of those three.

This is very true. A Corriente / Charolais cross will likely be a smaller frame cow and probably solid colour. It will not have much rump and it would help to cross it with a Limousine bull for terminal calves.

Muddy":1e3iub07 said:
Toad, dang you're too quickly to criticize...
I'm sorry if that came across as too critical. As I said I completely understand the idea of using cheap cows to make a buck, I'm doing it right now. But I think all of us on this forum would take top of the line cattle if thats what we could afford, thats all I'm saying. If someone is looking for really good cattle we shouldn't be recommending something that most likely isn't going to work.
Over 50% of my herd is someone elses culls. I've done the math and in the current market and my limited financial position thats what I can make the most $$$$$ currently. The market is willing to pay good money for questionable light calves so I'm taking advantage of it. But I don't see that as a long term sustainable model, do you? At some point the market will correct itself and then you better have quality calves if you plan on making a living. Maybe I'm reading this all wrong, I certainly don't have the years of experience that some do here.

Latest posts