Chute width.

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
In process of building new working pen and chute. What is the ideal width I need to make my chute. Plan is to go 32in wide is that to big or to small I will be running mostly 1250-1260 pound momma cows through it but o have a few smaller cows in the 1000-1050 pound range. I don't wanna set my 9x9 post to find out I should have made it smaller or bigger.

Made mine 30 should have made it 28" IMO so I reduced it down to 28 last 12'.
Most train wrecks happen in the chute or at least mine. I want them dragging hair.

28" seems to be the ideal width. I use two light weight cattle panels that I can wire to the inside to narrow it down to 24 or 25" when working smaller calves.

Prefiert's OEM Premier alley/chute comes 28" wide, which is what mine is.
Their Rough Stock alley is adjustable.

"Priefert's unique Adjustable Alley Frames allow operators to quickly and easily adjust the width of the working alley to better fit the size of cattle being worked. The alley can be set to 18", 21", 25", or 28" wide."

I wouldn't go wider than 28". I do not like the slanted alleys or chutes. Yes, the angled sides help keep calves from turning around, but if a mature cow, heavy bred, or big bull goes down in the vee, every time they exhale, they slip farther down into the vee and can suffocate before you can get the alley tore apart.

Latest posts