Castration Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

NewF350

Reaction score
I castrated a couple of steers the other day. They are both still a little slow but moving, eating and acting as normal as I would expect. One of them has about 2 inches of the cord still hangin out the bottom of his sack. Is this a problem? Do I need to get him through the chute again and clip it of? If so how far up?

The exposed cord needs to be removed. Get it in the chute, hold the cord and slide the remaining sack as high as you can. Either just pull the cords till they break or use a knife and chafe the cord as high as you can. Chafe rather then cut.

When castsrating a bull never leave anything hanging down, it just acts like a wick for infection . Be careful this guy is going to like this operation even less than before . When finished spray with iodine and give a shot of penicillin 10ml per 100 .

Larry

larryshoat":3hm9ufcf said:
When castsrating a bull never leave anything hanging down, it just acts like a wick for infection . Be careful this guy is going to like this operation even less than before . When finished spray with iodine and give a shot of penicillin 10ml per 100 .

Larry

It was not hanging down when I let him out of the headgate. The testicle broke off alot lower on the cord than I expected but everything else sucked back up into the sack. I tried to retrieve it but I could not get ahold. A day later I noticed that it was hanging out. I am sure you are right about not liking it - I tried briefly to get him in yesterday and he would not got within 100 feet of the chute. This is going to be fun!!

I've catrated a lot of cattle more than I care to remeber and on occaision i have had cords break on me when I'm pulling them out sometimes only getting a inch or two of cord with the testical and I haven't found that the remaining cord has caused any trama to the calf or ill effects in the castration. One thing to consider is if the flesh that you see hanging out of the scrotum is cord or is it fat. There has been times during castration there has been an amount of fat in the scotum and above the testicals this fat will sometimes be exposed after castration and even hang down a little. On a different note one trick that i use if a cord breaks to prevent the calf from becomeing a stag I will double implant the calf i can't say that this works evertime but i haven't noticed these calves standing out from the rest.

Running Arrow Bill":2l5ms2a4 said:
Band, then give a tetanus shot. Clean, simple, none of those other problems. Much less risk from infection, etc. than you have with "cutting".

:cowboy:

That was my original intent. They only weighed about 450 lbs but he was too large. I have the Tri Bander XL and it is supposed to go up to like 600 lbs but I have had horrible luck with it so far. It stretches the band into a triangle shape and there is so much tension on it you cant squeeze the testicle through. I am going to look into getting the california bander.

I've used several types of banders and far and away prefer the calicrate bander. Be sure you have both testicles and get the band as tight as possible without breaking it. Have used it on several thousand head and very good results.

G Lesamiz, DVM

Latest posts