Calving23

Help Support CattleToday:

I might have ask this before but do you separate the calves into a clean pen or do they just do it themselves
We have to show them 2-3 times (some more) and they go there by themselves after. They like straw, in the rest of the barn it's on chip wood or peat moss. And it's a bit hotter and there's no wind at that place.

We have to show them 2-3 times (some more) and they go there by themselves after. They like straw, in the rest of the barn it's on chip wood or peat moss. And it's a bit hotter and there's no wind at that place.
598DBE5C-2CE5-46C3-9115-8B3EA9621324.jpeg

Attachments

• 15359248-E5FD-47D9-B085-4E954D4E372F.jpeg
    15359248-E5FD-47D9-B085-4E954D4E372F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
I admire folks that can make it in the cold and the snow ! We are super wet ; seems like we get rain every 3-4 days . I always try not to complain about wet and muddy because it's better than drought conditions. But I sure wish we could get a week of dry weather . Lol 🤠 Got stuck in my truck this week ; had my 4 year old granddaughter with me . She was a trooper. Had to walk across the 40 to the barn to drive the cab tractor 🚜 home . Her only comment: those cows sure do poop 💩 a lot !

Last edited:
I would actually rather have the snow and cold hard ground to deal with and not the rain and mud we get. When I first moved to Va in '81, we had more snow and the ground would get cold and stay hard for weeks if not a couple months. We would get a little warming during the day but nights would go down to the mid 20's and not get much thawing. We also got more snow and less of the icy sleet crap we are getting so much this year. I have pictures and I kept several calendars with "daily weather recordings" even back then. I worked out in it more, and while easier to do when I was younger, I still would rather the cold, crisp, clean air than this wet, damp, raw, chilled to the bone, stuff we are getting every few days. I am not complaining about having moisture.... it beats a drought ANY DAY of the week... just the way it has been getting delivered to us compared to 30 years ago...
Hunting season in the fall was chilly nights and cool days... now sometimes it seems we are in shirt sleeves.... Fall and chilly temps came in more like normal this year but just seems it is this rainy, sleet, downright raw miserable weather... and it is harder on the animals than just good old snow and plain drier cold.

Nice Picture @Dubcharo ....

How old are your heifers when you calve them out?
I just started reading this post and when I read the very first post by you, I thought "you shouldn't have said that!" (no twins). They look very healthy.

May be just the camera angle, but one twin looks waaaaay bigger than the other. Are you going to pull one or let her (try to) raise them? BTW she is one, stout heifer!
It's the camera angle because those 2 females are pretty similar, maybe 5 pounds more on the second, we will weight them tomorrow. They will stay with the mother, if they lack milk I will give some milk replacer for a certain time.
We suspect that heifer was with twins she lost her big belly!

How old are your heifers when you calve them out?
I just started reading this post and when I read the very first post by you, I thought "you shouldn't have said that!" (no twins). They look very healthy.
23 months to 25 months. It was not normal for us to be without twins at that time in our calving season, normally it's 4-5 couples each year.

Are the calf jackets a good thing? Seems the dam can't lick the calf very well to dry them out and fluff up their hair and retained moisture would be colder than without the jacket, but I have no idea.

Latest posts