Calving Season 2020

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
We had a bit of a rough start to our calving season this year. We had a 90+ lb bull calf born out of one of our smaller heifers that had to be pulled, and another born dead that was a breach birth. With that being said, things have gotten progressively better since then. We have 9 heifer calves and 10 bull calves on the ground. We bred our AI cows on a natural heat last year, and ended up with 6 AI calves... a much better conception rate than in the previous years when we did TAI. Our first natural service calves were due on the 7th, and we have been averaging one a day since then. I thought that I would share some pictures of them.

002 Heifer: This calf is an 18 day old heifer sired by a New Zealand Murray Grey bull, Ballee Thumbs Up.
002-Heifer-18-days-1.jpg

006 Heifer: This heifer is another Ballee Thumbs Up daughter, pictured at 19 days.
006-Heifer-19-days.jpg

004 Heifer: This heifer is a daughter of JOPA Elation Power, a USA bred Murray Grey bull from the late 1980s. She is pictured at 14 days.
004-Heifer-14-days.jpg

001 Bull: This calf has been a standout since day one. He is sired by Cadella Park Minute Man and out of our oldest Tony daughter. He was 72 lbs at birth and is pictured here at 17 days. I am really eager to watch him develop.
001-Bull-17-days.jpg

005 Bull: He is an 8 day old son of Fox Hill Francois and is out of a Tony daughter. He was 80 lbs at birth and is quite a bit lankier than our other calves.
[image]https://i.postimg.cc/hGLYnT07/005-Bull-8-days.jpg[/image]

These next two bull calves are sired by BB Backbone's General out of Tony daughters. They are pictured at 7 and 8 days of age. The 003 calf is out of a 4 year old, while the 007 bull is out of a first calf heifer.
003-Bull-8-days.jpg

007-Bull-7-days.jpg

These are the first calves that we have had from both Fox Hill Francois and Cadella Park Minute Man, and the first heifers that we have had out of Ballee Thumbs Up. I am really liking them so far. The remainder of our calves this year will be sired by BB Backbone's General, BB Uncle Tony, and BB Backbone's Dominion. We have 7 or 8 more cows that are looking like they will calve in the next handful of days. I would say that the next rain storm would trigger most of them to go, but it has been raining almost daily for the last three weeks. Our ponds are overflowing, and I have seen carp swimming through the middle of our pastures in the river bottoms. After getting the truck stuck several times, we have resorted to checking them in the Ranger. Sometimes I have to sink it to the floorboards to cross a stretch of water, but at least it doesn't get stuck!

I always enjoy seeing your pictures on here. Very lovely animals. Those Murray Grey sure look fine!
I think my favorite is the 002 heifer. Love her color.
That big bull looks promising too!

All very nice especially the first two. It must be challenging and exciting chasing the genetics you use world wide. You seem to source some very old semen on occaisions.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
All very nice especially the first two. It must be challenging and exciting chasing the genetics you use world wide. You seem to source some very old semen on occaisions.

Ken

It is definitely exciting! I would have to say that out of these AI calves, 002 and 006 would be my current favorites. They are already pretty wide and have some decent muscling in the rear. Their sire, Ballee Thumbs Up, is also the sire of another bull we used, Fox Hill Francois. Both of those bulls seemed to throw a darker shade of grey than the other bulls we used. These were the AI sires that we ended up getting calves out of this year.
Cadella Park Minute Man
Cadella-Park-Minuteman.jpg

Ballee Thumbs Up
Ballee-Thumbs-Up-1.jpg

JOPA Elation Power
JOPA-Elation-Power-4-years-1.jpg

Fox Hill Francois
Fox-Hill-Francois.jpg

It will be interesting to see how that Minute Man bull calf fills out. Sure looks nice now and has the potential to be really amazing herd sire.

I also feel grateful that we got some BB Backbone General semen to use this season. Sure like what he has produced and unassisted is very important for first timers especially.

My husband says let us know if decide you can part with the 002 heifer =)

I thought that I would update this thread with some current pictures. Our first live cover calves were due on March 7th, and all but two cows had calved by April 6th. The last two will probably calve in about 3 weeks. This is the tightest calving season that we have had to date.

001 Bull Calf- He is pictured here at 7 weeks.
001-Bull-7-weeks.jpg

007 Bull- He is a 1 month old son of BB Backbone's General. His birth weight was 68 lbs and he is out of a first calf heifer.
007-Bull-1-month.jpg

These next two calves are Tony sons. The first is a month old calf that is a full brother to the bull that we retained from the 2019 calf crop. He had an 81 lb birth weight and is out of a 10 year old cow. The second calf is pictured at 16 days. His birth weight was 80 lbs.
009-Bull-1-month.jpg

027-Bull-16-days.jpg

TwoByrdsMG said:
It will be interesting to see how that Minute Man bull calf fills out. Sure looks nice now and has the potential to be really amazing herd sire.

I also feel grateful that we got some BB Backbone General semen to use this season. Sure like what he has produced and unassisted is very important for first timers especially.

My husband says let us know if decide you can part with the 002 heifer =)

Thank you for the kind words. Here are some more current photos of General, as well as a few of his daughters. General is now a 5 year old.
BB-Backbone-s-General-5-years-1.jpg

BB-Backbone-s-General-5-years-2.jpg

A 4 week old General daughter out of a first calf heifer. Her birth weight was 72 lbs.
008-Heifer-1-month.jpg

Another General daughter, this one is also out of a first calf heifer, but was born last fall. She just hit 6 months old in this photo. We are very happy with how she is turning out.
940-Heifer-6-months-1.jpg

Latest posts