Calving season 2020 for me

Help Support CattleToday:

2nd heifer had a heifer calf last night, pretty stout calf

Here are some of the lazybones
Robin and Hannah

Robin and Hestia, they've always been best friends

Poseidon (the kinda dumb bull) in the back and Hannah

Porkchopfat said:

The one in the middle is gonna be first this year. She is getting barrel round for sure.

she's got nothing on a pair of sisters I have!.. this was taken a month ago, and she has a month to go yet

Bull calf has finally realized he's on earth.. he wanted to buck and fight me today!

One of each.. about 70-75 lbs each, not small for twins, she was 12 days ahead of when she usually calves, about 8 days ahead of herd average (288)
I saw she was slow coming for food last night, and she was pretty darned round

Momma is a champ
https://youtu.be/_4JEmSigLPw

Nesikep said:
One of each.. about 70-75 lbs each, not small for twins, she was 12 days ahead of when she usually calves, about 8 days ahead of herd average (288)
I saw she was slow coming for food last night, and she was pretty darned round

Momma is a champ
https://youtu.be/_4JEmSigLPw
Do you think she can raise them both to weaning? Good looking crop so far. I am still in a holding pattern.

Yup, Prada is a good cow.. They may be a bit smaller than average at weaning, and I might wean them in August to give her time to fatten up again before winter.. maybe I'll pull just one? Maybe I'll freemartin test the heifer if she looks good enough

This is why I spend so much time with my cows... being able to do this without putting her in a squeeze, getting kicked, etc.. sure helps at calving time.. I'm down to about 3 cows I can't handle like this, all the old shorthorns pretty much.. Meanwhile if I need some extra milk for a calf, I just go to another cow and milk a quart, I hardly stock colostrum anymore

Awesome videos! I love the playtime with the little bull. My cows are dog tame but the calves won't let me touch them after a day or two. They start to trust me around 6 months, then I can start giving scratches.

NonTypicalCPA said:
Awesome videos! I love the playtime with the little bull. My cows are dog tame but the calves won't let me touch them after a day or two. They start to trust me around 6 months, then I can start giving scratches.

It helps having them in smaller pens for a while!

Twins are doing well, male definitely has a stronger appetite and nurses for longer.. they're both playing a bit now.. I had some visitors and they liked the attention, Momma was cool with it.

Nesi, one year we had 9 sets of twins and only lost 3 calves from our then herd of 300. The six cows were able to raise some pretty nice calves by a bit of extra management. They were all penned together and monitored that each mom knew and kept track of her calves, we fed them 10 lbs of barley per head until good grass came and then pastured them at our home pasture for the summer. The cows all bred back and calve weaned with the average. Feed that cows little extra and it will be cheaper that buying milk replacer.
Good luck!

Momma still has one retained placenta, gave her some boluses last night, probably going to give her a shot of lute here

2 new babies today, both from 1/2 Limo cows, 282 and 284 days gestation, I've found the limos are quicker than the rest of the herd by a noticeable margin.

Born some time at night, seems well cleaned off.. bull calf, probably 90-100 lbs

Born at 11am, saw the cow had lost the water, saw a foot.. went back home and watched with binoculars.. she went back to where she lost the water, laid down, and not 5 minutes later, PLOP! Decent size heifer calf, probably 80 lbs

Hestia's calf Hades.. As long as momma has the milk to make her grow, I like her build and she could end up a replacement.. really sweet character too

the twins, blonder one is Gucci the male, darker is Adidas the female

PB heifer Robin licking her heifer Hannah, which is probably going to be a replacement, might even register her... Chroma licking hers too, Tina

Bull calf from Cenci, Poseidon, 10 days old, he's really packing on weight fast!

I'm not going to upload these to youtube, but here's the last calf finding the teats
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZmcGk5yRb7iGpAHn9

Then trying to keep up with momma, this is about 5 hours old.. I didn't notice her white socks until she dried up.. Calling her Cindy
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FyTrvnHtJ5TsUmrZ7

RockinRB said:
Nice looking herd Nesi.
thanks! I breed what I like looking at, nice when other people like it too :)

Two more babies in the last 12 hours.. one at midnight, one a few hours ago
Got my calf jackets, really thin and light, but really warm with thinsulate and a good shell.. this calf didn't really need it but I wanted to try the fit.. pretty hefty girl, momma is dumb as a sack of hammers, she's 14

My last first timer, she's not a very tame cow, but she did everything herself and was a really good momma.. Baby got a full belly and is all set! Every one of my first timers had a heifer calf

Current count is 7 heifers (1 freemartin) and 3 bulls

Latest posts