Calf & Used Motor Oil

Help Support CattleToday:

twh

Reaction score
I can't quite get the search function to work 100% - so I'm going with starting a thread.

We had a yearling calf get out of her lot this afternoon, and in trying to get her back in she got into the barn. There was a small bucket full of used motor oil, and as she walked passed it she briefly stuck her nose down in it. I don't think she actually "drank" much or any of it, just stuck her mouth down and licked off what coated her mouth.

So... how big of a deal is this?

Growing up we used oil soaked pieces of old carpet as cattle rubs to keep the flies down. And like sim.-ang.king, I've ingested more than that just changing fluids. A little oil won't hurt a thing.

Edit: weird, there was a reply from sim.-ang.king here when I originally replied? Gone now.

I some how deleted it while I was on my phone, just now found out what I did. Basically I had a combine oil filter dump a couple qts right in my face, always keep your mouth closed.

If she drank the whole bucket, you'd probably have a problem. Getting her nose wet won't hurt anything.

Brute 23 said:
Only cows that ever die from drinking oil is when there is an O&G company with a lease on the place and it's always the rancher's award winning, prized, cow.

Worth $20,000, plus 4 years worth of 8k calves.
She was a good old girl.

mmm...so SS, you reckon a close inspection of that new nervous twitch of the tail area may be asking for it ?

Latest posts