calf can't walk

Help Support CattleToday:

Most likely, you are very aware that Naval Infection is totally different than Naval Ill. For those that are not aware, Naval ill, the infection sets up house in the knee joints. Extremely hard to cure.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3a6zuvam said:
Most likely, you are very aware that Naval Infection is totally different than Naval Ill. For those that are not aware, Naval ill, the infection sets up house in the knee joints. Extremely hard to cure.

I was under the impression that a naval infection somehow caused navel ill in the joints?

True Grit Farms":355gum4a said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":355gum4a said:

I was under the impression that a naval infection somehow caused navel ill in the joints?
My impression as well. The bacterial infection starts/gains entry at the navel/umbilical and if left untreated, progresses to the abdominal area, organs and/or the joints. Different stages of the same infection.

To the best of my knowledge, yes sometimes the calf has a naval infection, but not necessarily. The bacteria enters the blood steam through the umbilical cord and sets up house in the joints. "Milkmaid"
could tell us. When that girl was a teenager, she would take the local dairymen's calves that they would give up on and she would doctor them forever. I think she won most cases (not just naval ill).

Great article. I am going to put it in my newsletter. Thanks. That clears up a lot. I have seen calves that don't have an "apparently visible" naval infection, but did have the swollen joints. I was always under the impression that the swollen joints were the only malady being called "Naval Ill".

greybeard":27wxjwyo said:
True Grit Farms":27wxjwyo said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":27wxjwyo said:

My impression as well. The bacterial infection starts/gains entry at the navel/umbilical and if left untreated, progresses to the abdominal area, organs and/or the joints. Different stages of the same infection.
My vet thinks the same thing

dun":3djhkt7j said:
greybeard":3djhkt7j said:
True Grit Farms":3djhkt7j said:
My vet thinks the same thing

:nod: :nod:

That's what I learned in school, waaaayyyyy back when.

Latest posts