Buck with canine teeth

Help Support CattleToday:

I shot one 25 or so years ago that had them, I didn't realize at the time it was uncommon. I don't think I've seen one with them since then, even while doing some part time taxidermy for many years.

My wife claimed that an elk she nearly hit one night near Los Alamos, NM had fangs. She also claimed it had red eyes and was breathing fire.
I discounted her version of things since she was a little shook up by the event but, then again, it was Los Alamos where people claim they glow in the dark.

Woah! Neighbor got this buck a couple miles west of us. Evidently, there's something like a 0.08% chance of a deer with canines.
View attachment 24919
View attachment 24921View attachment 24920
A white-tailed deer with canine teeth is not at all common, but has been happening on occasion, likely since there were white-tailed deer, unlike underbite, which was only reported in 2 case studies of white-tailed deer prior to 1995. Nearly all male elk have canine teeth. Based on the photos, the deer did not have underbite or overbite.

Actually the chance of a deer with canines is much higher in southern states than in northern states according to several studies.

Latest posts