Ball Licking Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

SPH

Reaction score
Saw this ad out there, this is hilarious! Creative way to get attention for sure: http://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/4843967591.html

Text to the ad before it's gone:

Thank you to all the wonderful cattle people who called from three states interested in my freak cow. Wish I had a herd of freaks so i could meet you all in person. However, I dont so meeting the wonderful lady Lana (first to call) will have to suffice. Best of luck to her and her new purchase. She left assuring me she doesnt have any balls.

Enjoy the cattle market!

Regards,
Dan

-------------------------

For sale: Aged Black Angus cow bred to Black Angus bull (on site). Due to calf after March 24. Good feet, bag, eyes, attitude, and flesh. Only reason for selling is she stands by my Mirafount waterer and licks/splashes the blue balls all day making it icy. She is a ball-licker. Pisses me off. Same crap as last year. I am not going to tank water one cow. She is gone. Buy her if you dont have any balls and she will be fine.

Might trade for bred Black Angus / Hereford cow or open heifers. Must be same quality. No TxLHs. Maybe a female zebra, I have always like zebras. Nothing with any special needs or obsessive compulsive disorders.

Here's another good question, anyone have some good stories of odd cattle behavior that drove you nuts?

We're pretty fortunate with our Herefords being pretty mild mannered. We used to have a few crossbreds and some of those females would be over-protective of their calves which made it difficult to weigh and tag them when born or treat anything at a young age. Probably the most "odd" behavior we had was a bull that once the round bale was ate down enough he'd flip the hay ring off and push it across the lot. Not the worst thing in the world to deal with, bulls could do a lot worse. Sold him to a commercial breeder a few miles away and asked him later on how the bulls was doing. He says "boy he sure loves moving hay rings doesn't he?" Got a chuckle out of that, he had the same thought we did - a bull could do a lot worse than that to annoy you.

Other than fence busters (head through the fence 10 minutes after you put them in a fresh pasture.. GRRRR), I have had a couple funny ones.

I had a cow that would sometimes sit on her butt like a dog, and sit there for 10 minutes.. My cow Mega has had a single louse on her neck on several occasions, and made it perfectly clear to me what she wanted me to do about it.. Stretch neck.. wait.. Lick the spot, stretch neck wait.. repeat until I took a look and removed the offending louse.

There's a thread called "What was the last stunt one of your cows pulled".. LOTS of stories there!

We have one of those Mira Fount waters, but our balls are out of them. We have a few cows that will sit there for what seems like hours and lick the water like a dog, and splash it everywhere. Right now, the location looks like a skating rink, because the amount of water pushed out from licking and landing in the same place, then froze solid with our weather. I think the cows get bored so they just sit there and lick the water until another cow pushes them out!

SPH":2na9jlc7 said:
Saw this ad out there, this is hilarious! Creative way to get attention for sure: http://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/4843967591.html

Text to the ad before it's gone:

Thank you to all the wonderful cattle people who called from three states interested in my freak cow. Wish I had a herd of freaks so i could meet you all in person. However, I dont so meeting the wonderful lady Lana (first to call) will have to suffice. Best of luck to her and her new purchase. She left assuring me she doesnt have any balls.

Enjoy the cattle market!

Regards,
Dan

-------------------------

For sale: Aged Black Angus cow bred to Black Angus bull (on site). Due to calf after March 24. Good feet, bag, eyes, attitude, and flesh. Only reason for selling is she stands by my Mirafount waterer and licks/splashes the blue balls all day making it icy. She is a ball-licker. be nice me off. Same crap as last year. I am not going to tank water one cow. She is gone. Buy her if you dont have any balls and she will be fine.

Might trade for bred Black Angus / Hereford cow or open heifers. Must be same quality. No TxLHs. Maybe a female zebra, I have always like zebras. Nothing with any special needs or obsessive compulsive disorders.
This cow has a very special talent and should be on display somewhere important! :cowboy:
(As evidenced by the number of calls.) :lol:

One thing I wonder if someone has cows licking things is do you have any minerals out for them? Might be part of the reason why they are seeking out things to lick on.

SPH":2vpkr86u said:
One thing I wonder if someone has cows licking things is do you have any minerals out for them? Might be part of the reason why they are seeking out things to lick on.

I have one equally annoying cow.. She chews on the rubber garden hoses from the water troughs, and will stop at nothing to get them.. Maybe she had a serious rubber deficiency?

Seriously though, it would most likely be a phosphorus deficiency, as with cribbing, etc. However, it can become a habit as well.

Here's a funny one too of one of my cows.. .She figured out how to use a straw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddw_M0e3Mcs
[youtube]ddw_M0e3Mcs[/youtube]

I can't figure out why Inyati hasn't crawled all over this thread with a title like that. Figured his ears pricked up like little fiest dog.

Nesikep":31ib3yn0 said:
SPH":31ib3yn0 said:

I have one equally annoying cow.. She chews on the rubber garden hoses from the water troughs, and will stop at nothing to get them.. Maybe she had a serious rubber deficiency?

Seriously though, it would most likely be a phosphorus deficiency, as with cribbing, etc. However, it can become a habit as well.

Here's a funny one too of one of my cows.. .She figured out how to use a straw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddw_M0e3Mcs
[youtube]ddw_M0e3Mcs[/youtube]

Clever girl.

Latest posts