Son’s organic cow calved

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
36F00D4E-DA82-4B04-B682-728055B4CCC1.jpeg128E6BC1-E485-45AB-9598-42E9D5B0903D.jpeg
Old gal has only been wormed once in the. 5-6 years he's owned her . She either won't go in the catch pen , jumps the fence and or goes under . Sold her sister a few years back and didn't get much for her . Stockyard commented on her horns not allowing her to go into a kill plant ? Anyway , she's paid her way 4-5 times over and might be one that gets to liver out her life on the farm . Have 2 polled daughters out of her that act totally different than old mom .

Speaking of organic: James Wolf 65 certified organic farmer in Minnesota pled guilty last week to wire fraud.
It was discovered that for 9 years Wolf was buying grain and labeling it organic. It's estimated he netted 2 million per year in
fraudulent sales for each of the 9 years. Guess he should've taken early retirement at 62. :)

The truckers hate curved up horns. The cattle tend to punch them through the fiberglass top of the semi trailers. Always had to load horned cattle in the belly of the pot.
Had one driver offer to dehorn a cow with a baseball bat as she walked past him up the ramp.
Those big horns make it hard/more dangerous to knock them in the box.

Looks like she earned the right to stay another year at least.

@coachg , you using an Angus or a Brangus bull? Man, it is just impossible to lose money with these cattle and an Angus or Brangus bull. That cow behind her in the 1st pic? She is the kind everyone wants. A $2k cow at any sale barn on any day. And bred to an Angus, will give you a calf that will top the market at any sale barn anywhere. But...you could take that $2k and buy 6 more Corrientes ( actually, she looks more Pineywoods or Fla Scrub to me) and have 6 more of these polled black calves every year. How is this cow, tempermant wise, with her new calves?

Speaking of organic: James Wolf 65 certified organic farmer in Minnesota pled guilty last week to wire fraud.
It was discovered that for 9 years Wolf was buying grain and labeling it organic. It's estimated he netted 2 million per year in
fraudulent sales for each of the 9 years. Guess he should've taken early retirement at 62. :)
You would be surprised at how much fraudulent grain is out there. I know places that sell "certified" seed grain that they simply buy in South America and does not have the genetic makeup they claim.

Horned cow is protective but not to the point I won't get around her . She is more likely to leave with it than try to get you . The red mottle faced cow is a herd builder . . We've only got a couple of heifers from her . She has a little issue with her front tits being a little big to start with . I blame it on her Hereford breeding. Not balloon tits but just big and long . Wish we had fifty like her !

Those are some horns alright. We have two cows which need to get the horns chopped off. They are a bit shorter then the ones you've got, but ours know how to use them too.
Yours doesn't even go into the catch pen/alley together with a bunch of others? Wow. Suppose it's only 2 ways to deal with it, let her live out her days or use a little bullet.

Simply from a looks point of view I like the spectacular hook and toss horns, although both my Jerseys were dehorned in calfhood. I have never seen any good looking horns on a Jersey, they tend to turn down and curl inward. The Ayrshire breed has hook and toss horns. So do the Park Whites.

IMG_6513.JPG
White_Park_cow_with_calf_on_Hambledon_Hill_1.jpg

Last edited:
Simply from a looks point of view I like the spectacular hook and toss horns, although both my Jerseys were dehorned in calfhood. I have never seen any good looking horns on a Jersey, they tend to turn down and curl inward. The Ayrshire breed has hook and toss horns. So do the Park Whites.

View attachment 30083
View attachment 30085
When we cleaned out my great uncle's farm house I ran across an old farm catalog. In it there was a half page ad for "Ayrshire horn trainers" they clamped to the tips of the cows horns, then had a rope that ran through a pulley that was attached to the beam of the barn. The other end of the rope had weights hanging on it. Not sure how it worked but it was a neat ad.

When we cleaned out my great uncle's farm house I ran across an old farm catalog. In it there was a half page ad for "Ayrshire horn trainers" they clamped to the tips of the cows horns, then had a rope that ran through a pulley that was attached to the beam of the barn. The other end of the rope had weights hanging on it. Not sure how it worked but it was a neat ad.
I don't know about that but horn weights used to be big stuff, still are in some breeds.

My prolific longhorn will be here until she either quits producing or something else happens to her. I have plans for her head and horns as they are nicely matched and shaped.... she will shake her head at other cows that crowd her space in the feed bunk but I have never seen her use them or try to hook anyone. I had a jer/hol cross cow that learned to use hers and would hook anything she decided had offended her... had our vet friend do some skull numbing, and took them off and when it was all over and she went out with the others a couple days later,,, got the surprise of her life when she couldn't hook them. She needed that comeuppence....

Latest posts