Bad Shoulder

Help Support CattleToday:

Logan52

Reaction score
My next to last calf this spring was a black heifer, born to a red-necked Hereford cow I purchased as a heifer.
I found her early on a Sunday morning laying flat under an electric fence wire (not touching it).
It could not get up, but I did my usual routine for one like this and tubed her with 2 quarts of colostrum.
After church I tubed her again with milk replacer, the weather was nice, and left her in the field.
I noticed her front right shoulder did not feel right, not obviously broke but maybe dislocated. Still laying flat and I had little hope for her. I was already planning to sell the 1500 pound cow and try to buy a cow and calf with the money she brought.
To my surprise, she stood up late in the day but was obviously crippled. She has gradually improved and is growing well but has no use of her right front leg. I have always felt that where there is life there is hope but this is probably a money losing outcome. She can run like a scamp on flat ground but struggles up and down steep hills. She is growing as well as the other calves.
Any thoughts on keeping her for a beef. Our freezer is empty of beef, lamb or deer. Would it be worth scheduling a place in line at the local processor in hopes she might make a beef by next spring?

Why wouldn't you try? She will eat as good as a $1000 calf. I would bet she will get stronger and learn to operate just fine on three legs.
Go ahead and make your appointment. If nothing else you can buy another prospect or just cancel it.

The young ones have an amazing ability to heal. I would not make plans until you see what happens. Might end up growing like a normal calf.

Ken

I see no reason to not keep her for a beef. Is she still on the cow? Maybe keep the cow in a field that does not have as steep a terrain so she doesn't have to struggle as much. I had a foal with a broken hip and it healed as a bit of a drop hip and she got along well.
If she is getting along and growing, there is no reason to think she won't do fine. Kill her as young beef before she gets too big and it might become a problem... but they get up hind end first so getting up should not be as difficult for her.

Latest posts